diy solar

diy solar

Cheap vs Inexpensive

eddie1261

Solar Enthusiast
This is probably gong to ruffle some feathers, but that's okay. I do that every day everywhere.

I read a lot of posts here and not bothered engaging in them about money. The primary topic is how lithum batteries are too expensive. Really?

While you may see the initial outlay for lithium as too high, let me ask you this. Do you plan on having your solar system for a year? Two? Three? Isn't this kind of something you go into for the long haul? When making that kind of decision it is important to project that cost of a higher performing, lighter weight lithium battery against possibly as many as 3 sets of any kind of lead battery. Everybody seems to know a guy who knows a guy who ran his 2 6v golf cart batteries wired in series for 19 years or more. And if that guy truly exists, okay, for that guy it worked out. But why not lay out $629 dollars for a Ruixu lithium now that will likely last 8 or more years and can be discharged down to 20%, install it once, and never worry abut it again? The charge cycle numbers get tossed around like when people talk about how many millions a lottery is worth. One guy told me that "You MAY get 3000 charge cycles out of that battery." Okay. That is 8 years and 4 months. That takes me to age 76. And I can go to that same (rumored) guy who says he got 5000 charge cycles out of his lithium battery. That is 13 years and 10 months. That takes me to 78. Am I still going to be running around in a trailer at 78? (THAT guy I would doubt, because I don't know that there were affordable lithium batteries in 2006 for him to have had it for 13 years already.)

Point being is that cheap is about quality. Inexpensive is about price. If my battery lasts me those 4000 cycles, that means it cost me $78 per year to have it, and that I ran around with 30 pounds of battery in my trailer instead of 180.

I did a gig once selling hardware. My company came up with a bolt that had locking threads on the backside of the threads. That bolt was so expensive it almost needed a mortgage. However, I walked into a client's garage who had huge problems with the bolts that held the compressor motor on his cement mixer trucks. 6 bolts held it in. Typically the vibration would back them out and he would get trucks coming in that had 3 missing and 2 of the remaining 3 broken, meaning he had to tap those out and put in new bolts. He would replace them with more grade 5 bolts that cost like 89 cents each. One day I sat him down and asked him "How much money do those trucks make your company when they are sitting on the lot because of that bolt problem?" The answer of course was "Zero." I then handed him 6 of those locking bolts and told him "These bolts, the right size for that application, cost $3,99 each. You take these 6, and put them on ONE truck. Then track the performance of that truck for 90 days and we'll talk again." 90 days later, all 6 of those bolts were still in place, and at torque, so they had not moved a bit. He then ordered 300 pieces of that bolt so he could put them on every truck. So he invested $1200 for bolts and NEVER had a problem with that issue again.

Cheap vs inexpensive.

Moral of the story, spend the money, build your system right, with quality products, set it and forget it. It will cost you less in the long run.

This is strictly my perspective, and you are of course free to disagree with the idea. As it pertains to batteries, refer to Will's video where he did the math.

Not to mention cheap products often don't work well, even during their shorter lifetime. Power tools is one area I've experienced this. I've bought a cheap tool and fought with it every time I used it, until it broke. I replaced it with a quality tool that is a joy to use, and still works perfectly.

Will did a whole video just on this topic. Very well done. He uses the numbers and proves that Lithium batteries are less expensive.

For us traveling in slide in truck camper weight is a huge issue. The truck is already being pushed to it's design max with a large 3 slide camper. We wanted a large powerful battery that would run the AC side of the camper as well as all the low load DC circuits. I am not a fan of generators, I would rather go cold and hungry than listen to one run.

At the time I built my system there wasn't as many choices for drop in lithium batteries. Battleborn was starting out and $1000/100 Ah was going to get pricey in a hurry. I ended up buying the raw battery cells from an outfit that specializes in electric car conversions. The cells are of excellent (and known) quality. This lowered my cost of battery to less than $550/100 Ah. Since then more options have presented and I could undoubtedly build something for less.

Led acid wasn't an option. I had 2 pairs of T-105 6v batteries in our last camper. For it's usable 250Ah or so they weighed 240 pounds. In our new camper I wanted 500AH or more. We just don't have the weight capacity, not to mention physical space to add an additional 500 pounds. Our Lithium bank weighs about 170 pounds and provides a usable 600 Ah.

In the end the cost of components can be pricey. So can the labor to install everything. Doing your homework and building a system out yourself can save some big bucks. My entire system was about 9k. That included everything including some specialized tools needed to bottom balance the cells, crimp the cable lugs etc. I see some comparable systems being offered at 20k or more installed. There is nothing wrong with saving money, but don't skimp on the quality, reliability and safety of the components you select. Your life may literally depend on it.

This is probably gong to ruffle some feathers, but that's okay. I do that every day everywhere.

I read a lot of posts here and not bothered engaging in them about money. The primary topic is how lithum batteries are too expensive. Really?

While you may see the initial outlay for lithium as too high, let me ask you this. Do you plan on having your solar system for a year? Two? Three? Isn't this kind of something you go into for the long haul? When making that kind of decision it is important to project that cost of a higher performing, lighter weight lithium battery against possibly as many as 3 sets of any kind of lead battery. Everybody seems to know a guy who knows a guy who ran his 2 6v golf cart batteries wired in series for 19 years or more. And if that guy truly exists, okay, for that guy it worked out. But why not lay out $629 dollars for a Ruixu lithium now that will likely last 8 or more years and can be discharged down to 20%, install it once, and never worry abut it again? The charge cycle numbers get tossed around like when people talk about how many millions a lottery is worth. One guy told me that "You MAY get 3000 charge cycles out of that battery." Okay. That is 8 years and 4 months. That takes me to age 76. And I can go to that same (rumored) guy who says he got 5000 charge cycles out of his lithium battery. That is 13 years and 10 months. That takes me to 78. Am I still going to be running around in a trailer at 78? (THAT guy I would doubt, because I don't know that there were affordable lithium batteries in 2006 for him to have had it for 13 years already.)

Point being is that cheap is about quality. Inexpensive is about price. If my battery lasts me those 4000 cycles, that means it cost me $78 per year to have it, and that I ran around with 30 pounds of battery in my trailer instead of 180.

I did a gig once selling hardware. My company came up with a bolt that had locking threads on the backside of the threads. That bolt was so expensive it almost needed a mortgage. However, I walked into a client's garage who had huge problems with the bolts that held the compressor motor on his cement mixer trucks. 6 bolts held it in. Typically the vibration would back them out and he would get trucks coming in that had 3 missing and 2 of the remaining 3 broken, meaning he had to tap those out and put in new bolts. He would replace them with more grade 5 bolts that cost like 89 cents each. One day I sat him down and asked him "How much money do those trucks make your company when they are sitting on the lot because of that bolt problem?" The answer of course was "Zero." I then handed him 6 of those locking bolts and told him "These bolts, the right size for that application, cost $3,99 each. You take these 6, and put them on ONE truck. Then track the performance of that truck for 90 days and we'll talk again." 90 days later, all 6 of those bolts were still in place, and at torque, so they had not moved a bit. He then ordered 300 pieces of that bolt so he could put them on every truck. So he invested $1200 for bolts and NEVER had a problem with that issue again.

Cheap vs inexpensive.

Moral of the story, spend the money, build your system right, with quality products, set it and forget it. It will cost you less in the long run.

This is strictly my perspective, and you are of course free to disagree with the idea. As it pertains to batteries, refer to Will's video where he did the math.
I concur!

Especially about bolts! Lol.

Now, if they had similar quality grading system for nails and screws, that would be nice!

Now, if they had similar quality grading system for nails and screws, that would be nice!

So many things I buy these days come with cheap aluminum hardware that just breaks in half or strips out with any torque at all. Very common to toss original hardware and head for my parts bins.

So many things I buy these days come with cheap aluminum hardware that just breaks in half or strips out with any torque at all. Very common to toss original hardware and head for my parts bins.
The older stuff is better! I just replaced a bolt that had a plastic head - for easy "adjusting" (lol) with a real bolt from my storage. I mean really? The bike light fixture is under road stress and once you set it you won't need to reset it. So why not use a good bolt? The reviews even mention it! The whole bolt use to be plastic, now, only the head is! It's like they are saving pennies! - The light itself is nice and sturdy though, it's just the fastener that was junk.

Lithium batteries are much cheaper in the long run and last much longer that’s the undisputed truth. Problem is some folks do not have the up front expense some others find it easy to extol.
We would all love to buy the best and longest lasting available product but some with tight funds buy Harbor freight tools and that works well for them. They would love to buy snap on or other high dollar proven tools but can’t. Money’s tight these days for a lot of people who would love the longevity of LiFePo but they gotta eat too. So AGM,SLA or flooded is what they make due with.
Taken care of, they get the job done.
With maintenance, maintenance and watched discharge use they serve the purpose.

Last edited:
I put my battery on a credit card. So far I have paid for 1/3 of it. I will have paid for it by Nov 1. For as small scale as my whole car/trailer rig is, I had to have a light battery. And for dollar value lithium was a no brainer.

I just paid my panels off last week.
No Credit Cards
No Mortgage
On my way to Net Zero...I will get there eventually.

No Credit Cards
No Mortgage
On my way to Net Zero...I will get there eventually.

Just make sure you HAVE credit. You don't have to use it, but someday you may have a huge expense and need it. Cash payers and people who are proud that they owe nothing also often have no credit for emergencies. I have a lot in my credit pool but I am using under 10% of it. And I keep it there. Once I get done buying the trailer prep toys I will owe very little.

Just make sure you HAVE credit. You don't have to use it, but someday you may have a huge expense and need it. Cash payers and people who are proud that they owe nothing also often have no credit for emergencies. I have a lot in my credit pool but I am using under 10% of it. And I keep it there. Once I get done buying the trailer prep toys I will owe very little.

I have great credit.
I daisy chain loans and lines of credit ...pay them off...then I close them down.
My first cc was a one year 0 interest card that I used for solar only.

Last edited:
I have great credit.
I daisy chain loans and lines of credit ...pay them off...then I close them down.
My first cc was a one year 0 interest card that I used for solar only.

Perfect planning. I wouldn't close them down when they hit $0 though. That changes the age of your credit and you want your credit to be as old as it can be. I fought this fight in 2014 when I tried to get financed for $6250 to buy 10 new windows for my house. My credit, at then 63 years of age, was an embarrassing 540. A lot of education, hard work, discipline, and better habits later, and I am in the mid 700s now. Great feeling to know that when you want to buy something, you can, isn't it?

Back