diy solar

diy solar

Choosing a Inverter/Charger and Batteries

Trask55

Need some advice choosing a inverter/charger and batteries for a backup power supply for my home. Some background on my electrical experience. I am not a journeyman electrician but do have a maintenance electricians license. I have a good understanding of the NEC, electrical theory and formulas and have 45+ years of commercial facilities maintenance.

I am absolutely new to inverter/chargers and battery backup systems for home power during an outage. I currently have a 15kw diesel generator located in my shop which is 200 feet from my house. The shop has a sub panel and the diesel generator has it's own separate conductors to the the house panel. Power from the generator is supplied via a back fed breaker interlock in my main 200A house panel. The generator can be started and turned off via a switch near the 200A house panel. With my current system I am the automatic transfer switch in the event of an outage. Running the diesel generator during a power outage isn’t very thrifty but does allow me the capacity to run any loads in the house. I have gas heat, gas water heater, high efficiency 3 ton AC unit and all the other normal electrical loads you would expect in a 1500 sqft home.

I want to add one or more EG4 48VDC batteries and a split phase inverter/charger with AC output of at least 10KW in my shop as my backup power supply. Batteries would be maintained by grid power when available and during an outage the diesel generator would charge the batteries as needed. I am not interested in installing solar panels so the inverter/charger would not need a solar panel input. I don’t want to put in an automatic transfer switch and want to stay with the breaker interlock in the main house panel. Are there any inverter/chargers that would be capable of doing what I’ve described?

Back