diy solar

diy solar

Choosing a PLC with ethernet capability

solarsimon

Solar Enthusiast
Hi, I'm looking to do a project for a family member. Across a farm there's a requirement for a battery system plus quite a few simple control systems spread around the farm. I could get away with a bunch of home automation gear based around Home Assistant, Shelly, Tuya etc , but some of it needs to be capable of being occasionally supported by electricians, which leans me more towards some PLCs - at least din rail mounted so the electricians are less likely to walk away in disgust!
PLC must have ethernet capability
I was heading towards Siemens Logo ($150 USD) but I'm not keen on getting tied into paid-for programming software.

Would ideally like to interface with the following, but not necessarily direct from the PLC.
  • Solar assistant
  • Home Assistant
  • NodeRed
  • standalone PID controllers for heating liquids (or possibly run PIC loops in the plc)
  • Some sort of logging for occasional deep dive into issues (maybe within HA already) but I can run syslog on Synology NAS if that helps.
  • Iotawatt
  • Temperature & humidity sensors (ideally 1-wire if it's robust enough)
Current possibilities include
Siemens Logo
Siemens s7-1200
Mitsubishi Alpha
Delta PLC
Adruino 'industrial' ranges - but they don't seem to have ethernet out of the box

Sorry it's so wide open & ambiguous - I'm just trying to get a feel for what's out there & what people use for reliable control.

diy solar

diy solar
Back