diy solar

diy solar

Diesel Powered Wind Turbine

deacon st. john

Hypothetically, if one has a NIB 1000watt wind turbine and controller that is collecting dust, would it not be possible to strip down the turbine to its AC generator head and couple with a belt drive system to a cheap china Diesel engine? I have access to unlimited amounts of waste veg oil and I already have a small biodiesel setup that I make fuel in for my 300SD Mercedes.

My only out of pocket cost would be for the sub $200 china Diesel engine. And belt/pulley setup. I have the turbine controller and a spare solar charge controller, breakers, wire etc laying around.

Anyone else ever made something like I’m thinking of? Did it work? Thanks!

Hit youtube and look up David Poz. He recently did something similar with a harbor freight engine and a treadmill motor.

Basically you'd be doing the same thing. You'll have to do some math and machining to get the right size pullys to convert the low RPM diesel engine into the high RPM the turbine motor wants but it's totally do-able, especially if you already have some of the larger components on hand.

Most importantly would be a photo log of the process so we can live vicariously through you. ?

I'd think the set up would be exceedingly more reliable if you let someone else do the engineering and buy a used generator.

I doubt the 1000w wind turbine generator can output 1000 watts for any sustained period of time.

I'd think the set up would be exceedingly more reliable if you let someone else do the engineering and buy a used generator.

I doubt the 1000w wind turbine generator can output 1000 watts for any sustained period of time.
I have several generators lol. Just thinking about using some spare parts for a winter project. Turn trash into treasure.

Do you smell french fries?
I really hope it's not fish sticks ?

Fun project? Definitely.
Do they make small diesel lawn mowers to salvage an engine from?

1000 watts, derated to something like 600 isn't very much for the effort

I really hope it's not fish sticks ?

Fun project? Definitely.
Do they make small diesel lawn mowers to salvage an engine from?

1000 watts, derated to something like 600 isn't very much for the effort
Yes but 600 watts for 24 hours per day starts to add up. Or until I beat the bearings out of an aluminum Chinese diesel

Entirely possible.
The most objectionable feature will probably be noise.
That can be overcome by building a hilariously large muffler, and using that to mount both diesel and the generator on top of the muffler.
I did this with an old rebuilt Wisconsin gas engine, an old compressed air tank, and a treadmill motor, a wind turbine should work fine too.
The trick is to fill the muffler up completely with fiberglass wool, and greatly restrict the outlet.
I added electric start and a 12v alternator, 12v battery, and a proper ignition system.
The treadmill motor was not happy running flat out continuously, so I used an e-bay 12v bilge blower for cooling.
Shown here still in the final stages of completion.
It turned a lot of junk I already had here, into something more interesting and useful.
Definitely a fun project.

Attachments

• 2020-01-01_0002.jpg
    2020-01-01_0002.jpg
    817.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 2020-02-07_0002.jpg
    2020-02-07_0002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Back