diy solar

diy solar

DIY tinkerer learning about RV and home backup solar options

judge77

Hi all - I've been searching and studying solar components and design online in anticipation of upgrading our travel trailer electrical system to a 12/24v system with a couple of hundred amp-hours of battery capacity and enough solar to charge it during the day. I'll also be working towards a basic backup system in our house to cover the essentials during annoying power outages we get during late summer storms here on the east coast. I'm looking forward to continuing to learn from all of you.

judge77

Welcome to the forum.

When I went through upgrading my RV trailer last year I looked into 24v and decided to keep it 12v. Simpler, lower cost. If you were starting from scratch with a clean slate, 24v or maybe even 48v might be the way to go.

Thanks for the welcome - there's an overwhelming amount of information and expertise here - looking forward to continuing to learn.

I'm leaning towards 24v and just adding a 24v to 12v converter to tie to my existing 12v circuits. I like the ability to double the charging capacity of my Bogart SC-2030/TM-2030 setup.

I'm currently researching the current best deal on raw LiFePo4 cells and BMS that I can get within a couple of weeks. I'd like to build my own batteries, but this seems to be a fast-moving train and it seems hard to keep up with the latest.

The best DIY deals require patience while cells are on the slow boat from China. There are a couple of vendors on the forum that sell a turnkey battery. That will likely be a quicker delivery than individual cells.

Check your high amp loads. Since you have a bumper pull trailer, there shouldn't be that many. On a fifth wheel trailer, the high amps loads like the landing jacks draw a lot of amps which requires a stout 24v-12v converter. If you use the 12v 7-pin circuit to charge your battery bank then you'll need a 12v-24v converter.

Back