diy solar

diy solar

Eaton DT223URH DPDT 100-amp transfer switches from Puerto Rico on Ebay

ICPete

I was searching for low-cost 60- to 100-amp DPDT manual transfer switches on Ebay and came across 5 sellers in Puerto Rico selling the Eaton DT223URH-N for about $230-250 with free shipping to anywhere in the CONUS. This is a pretty good price for this switch. All the sellers have multiple units available, and some of them have a good number of positive feedbacks. But I'm still suspicious; could it be a popular scam somehow, that multiple sellers have latched onto?
Alternatively I'm guessing there may have been a source of a bunch of these units send to PR to help with setting up generators, and maybe several crates of them "fell off a truck" or ended up as surplus for some reason and were auctioned off cheap in pallet-size quantities.
Given that shipping such a large, heavy item from Puerto Rico to the mainland must cost at least $50, maybe $100 even, these sellers must have bought the switches pretty cheaply; or it's an outright scam.
Does anyone know any more about these switches and whether they're the "real deal"?

In case anyone has wondered about the 100-amp transfer switches from Puerto Rico sellers, I bought one on Amazon for $192 and it arrived yesterday. Shipping was very fast via USPS. It's actually not that big and heavy, so I'm sure the shipping cost was reasonable. The unit is definitely brand new and in the original packaging. It arrived in perfect condition and I took a couple of photos:
DT223URH-N #2.jpg
DT223URH-N #1.jpg

The reviews on Amazon indicated some concern over there not being a strong detent in the center-off position. It's true there doesn't appear to be much if any detent force; however there is considerable friction in moving the handle, so I wouldn't expect it to drop on its own. Of course one could (and perhaps should) place a bolt or padlock through the handle hole in the center-off position, to be sure it doesn't drop accidentally. In the two "ON" positions, the blade kind of "clicks" into full engagement with the blades of the two throws, so it feels secure in either the "up" or "down" ON positions. The maximum listed wire size is 1/0 in copper, or 1 AWG in aluminum if entering from the wall facing the terminal.
In my application the continuous current will be 57 amps maximum; I'll be wiring it with #1 AWG because the OCPD at one end is 125A.

Back