diy solar

diy solar

EG4 3kW Off-Grid Inverter, no solar

alphanumericone

I'm considering building a battery backup system that can eventually be expanded in the future.

Phase 1:
I'm considering getting a EG4 3kW off-Grid inverter and a 48v battery. Initially, my thought is to use this as a UPS with my chest freezer & NAS in the garage, having it plugged into a 15 amp outlet.
Ideally I'd get a couple solar panels (thinking 400watts worth initially) and store them for use in emergency situations to power freezer, refrigerator, etc.
I could also connect my generator to the EG4 in these rare situations.

Phase 2:
Add battery capacity & additional panels if necessary.

Phase 3:
Potentially building another garage / workshop, where this would be migrated. At this point I'd mount solar to the roof & expand capacity. I'd also like to install a mini-split heat pump in the garage to temper the heat / cold in the garage, running off this system.

Questions:
Does this make any sense to use an inverter & battery as a UPS passthrough like described in Phase 1?
Will this product work for these scenarios?

I appreciate any constructive criticism / advise.

Brian

It should work.

1) consider the inverter's minimum solar voltage for the string. You will need at least that many panels.

2) consider future power needs. May want a larger inverter from the start, or parallel a second inverter. May be an issue if inverter is no longer made.

3) consider if you eventually want 240v, or if more amps on on a single 120v line is preferred.

For NAS or Network Attached Storage, if the battery runs low and the system switches to utility power, you might have problems with some setups. That is, computer equipment may switch off during the switch.

@DIYrich Thanks for the feedback. Was also considering https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-6000xp-off-grid-inverter-split-phase/. Will talked very highly about it, but it is almost 2x the cost (although may be very beneficial in the long run).

Also didn't consider the minimum solar voltage.

@John.DS99 What specs should I be looking at for switching from passthrough to inverter, and back? Do you know of recommended acceptable switching for sensitive items (like a NAS)?

Back