diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Battery charging cold weather problems

andrewg-MT

Hello,

New to forum. We have a off-grid system for a small cabin, Running Growatt 5000es system with mid-transformer & 2 EG4 lithium 48v 100ah batteries, 14 325w panels, & a 9k 240v generator backup wired into the AC input. System has run good until first snow. We have high efficiency everything with gas for dryer & stove so our daily load is less then 1 kW. System held for 2 days then batteries shut off. No big deal, I expect that with no effective solar from panels bc of snow, I turn the generator on to power up the house & to charge the batteries. I first disconnected panels and figured the generator would bring the two batteries back up no problem. 6 hrs later nothing, batteries still flat, registered error 4 still on Growatt (low battery voltage error). I am thinking that the Growatt system OS sees the Solar is not producing so it moves on to AC source to recharge batteries Correct? At this point I am at a loss, m the system allows for priority in charging sources so charging should take from AC…

(Environment Background) - Batteries & Inverter are in a dedicated insulated shed with ambient room temp at 38-40 degrees with single digits outside, we live in MT, Given the line feed from generator is limited to 50amp 240v I figured charging would be simple & fast. Can someone please illuminate my problem(s). I am wondering if the cold temps are causing more problems problems than I think. Please nothing personal my wife is fine point out those problems! This is our only power source so we are in a bit of a predicament. Thank you in advance. Photo shows the Growatt interface panel after disconnecting panels. I’m a bit concerned that the charge load says sol & not AC.

Andrew

Attachments

• 2DAAE21F-65B2-4D78-AEDA-BB8012D83366.jpeg
    2DAAE21F-65B2-4D78-AEDA-BB8012D83366.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 5
What are the batteries indicating?
What are settings #2, #11, and #14 currently set at?

If you wanted to pass this on to the family.
I would recommend these settings.

#2 - 60a
#3 - GEN
#11 - 60a
#14 - SNU

In looking at the manual and the panel, with 73.6v from generator too high a an input load for the inverter??? If so, does settings 2,3 & 12 regulate max input voltage?

I will have them try and adjust if possible. Do you suggest shutting down the system after changing settings and then see if the charging light goes on?

In looking at the manual and the panel, with 73.6v from generator too high a an input load for the inverter???
73.6v ?

If so, does settings 2,3 & 12 regulate max input voltage?
No
But #3 lowers its tolerance to fluctuations. That can be common with generators.
I will have them try and adjust if possible. Do you suggest shutting down the system after changing settings and then see if the charging light goes on?
Shouldn't be necessary. But if it doesn't seem like it changed, you could.

diy solar

diy solar
Back