diy solar

diy solar

EG6000EX vs 6000XP

brolston

I currently have the EG4-6000EX and it is a terrible unit for off-grid use. Everyone knows about the high idle consumption (115w) but there also looks to be a 250W loss from the PV input to the PV output (MPPT loss/pwr consumption). The 250w looks to be consistent across the full pwr input range but is a killer at low pv input (overcast days). Assuming 20% panel efficiency when poor conditions you have to get over the 365w hurdle before you can supply to the load or start charging your battery(s). 365w / 20% = 1.825kW of added pv array to manage bad days so saving $ on this inefficient inverter cost you $ on additional panels.

I was running a Schneider SW4048 for 6 years with no issue on bad days. After I switched the unit out to this 6000EX I had to increase my pv array to manage poor days. $0.70 per watt installed (conservative) x 1.825kW = $1,278 to get back to where I was before the changeout. Here are some of the measurements taken showing the loss between the measured pv input (+ wire at the inverter) against the pv output reading on the display of the 6000EX unit:

pv table.png
I have 2 questions.

1/ Has anyone on this forum verified this mppt loss/pwr conumption of around 250w?
2/ The new 6000XP unit has much better idle consumption but has anyone measured the mppt loss/pwr consumption?

Will, love to see you test this mppt efficiency with low pv input. 95%+ mppt efficiency is great at high pv input (sunny day) but for off-grid what really matters is the bad days and efficiency on the low pv input days is what is really important.

Side note - SS has terrible customer service. Very difficult to connect with, techs only know product spec's and never acknowledge the issue raised. As we can see, they quickly discontinued the 6000EX and released this new 6000XP that again looks great on paper but?

Bruce,

The woes of the 6000ex and 6548 caused my opinion of SS.

That being said, while I have no experience, there’s a few others already beta testing the new unit
It shows a ton of promise. It’s made by a completely different manufacturer than the prior two.
Luxpower makes it and their 18kpv seems very robust.
At a better price, and seemingly much better quality control I think one will be much better off with the new unit.
Will mentioned in his review video that currentconnected will also be selling this device, so you have options if you’d prefer to test the customer service waters elsewhere

Again that’s just armchair spitballing, maybe @Zapper77 can provide some insight or you can check out his thread on it.

@brolston I have a 6000EX that I use as an AC backup but use the MPPT daily. Today is cloudy, so the 2.7kW array is making

1.88A * 258 V = 485.0 W as measured at the disconnect into the 6000EX using a clamp meter and DMM

The Inverter is off (as it usually is).

The power into the battery is 8.8A * 53.1 V = 467.3 W (using a clamp meter and DMM at the battery terminals)

Which gives something like 96.3 % efficiency.

I'll check a higher output level when I can in the next day or so.

Mlhagema, thanks for that. I believe your measurement would pickup the inefficiency of the charge-controller as well so very surprised at the result. My measurement(s) above were at the PV input terminal (pv wire @ 6000EX) against the 6000EX readout (pv input voltage/output pwr) from the picture below, AT THE SAME TIME. That way there is no lag between measurements where irradiance at the panels/array can change.

PV input (6000EX).png

I am guessing you don't have multiple meters so is it possible your readings are not consistent (irradiance changes) over the time it takes to move the clamp meter and retake the 2nd measurement? Can you do me a favor, if your pv disconnect is near your 6000EX unit, take down the pv input reading(s) at your disconnect (volts/amps), and immediately recorded the 6000EX pv readout from the screen above (input volts/output pwr) at the same time?

@brolston I can do that when I get a chance. In the mean time here are snap shots of Watchpower for two different cases:

1698953421208.png
REPORTED input 514 watts, output 53.8 * 9.0A = 484.2W => efficiency is approx 94 %

NOTE Watchpower rounds current to the nearest whole amp, just another reason it is lame.

1698953610367.png
REPORTED input 968 watts, output 54.1 * 17.0A = 919.7W => efficiency is approx 95 %

I'll post again when I get more data.

I am hoping that Current Connected is better than Signature Solar. I just ordered a 6000XP from CC after viewing Will Prowse's review and recommendation even though it cost me more than from SS. The CC sales rep told me that they would help me get things set up correctly.

I built my system with everything purchased from SS but have not been able to receive customer support to set it up correctly. I have been running my set up for about 11 months now.

I will probably sell my 6000EX once I receive the 6000XP

I am hoping that Current Connected is better than Signature Solar. I just ordered a 6000XP from CC after viewing Will Prowse's review and recommendation even though it cost me more than from SS. The CC sales rep told me that they would help me get things set up correctly.

I built my system with everything purchased from SS but have not been able to receive customer support to set it up correctly. I have been running my set up for about 11 months now.

I will probably sell my 6000EX once I receive the 6000XP
What issue did you need help with on the 6000EX?

What issue did you need help with on the 6000EX?
I asked the SS tech to help with the settings and he rattled some off to me, which I put in the inverter and trusted that I could leave it turned on overnight and it would stop drawing from the batteries when the SOC of the batteries reached a low point. When I got up the next morning two of the batteries were below 10% and one was completely discharged and flashing an alarm. After I charged them up again the one totally discharged battery lags way behind the other two and I don't know if it ever gets fully charged.

I also would like to have my inverter fed from the grid (I have it hooked up), but I don't trust it to swich over when the batteries are too low.

I turn off my inverter and shut down my batteries every night, and whenever the SOC gets to 20% - whichever comes first.

Of course the strobing is a problem.

I purchased the 6000EX the week it came out and have never done a firmware update. I would have liked help doing the firmware update as I am worried I might brick the system. All SS customer service ever did, when they did finally get back to me, was send me a link to do the update.

My apologies if this is post is in the wrong place. If it is please direct me to where I should be posting about the problems I have experienced.

thank you,

I am excited to have found this forum

ed

I asked the SS tech to help with the settings and he rattled some off to me, which I put in the inverter and trusted that I could leave it turned on overnight and it would stop drawing from the batteries when the SOC of the batteries reached a low point. When I got up the next morning two of the batteries were below 10% and one was completely discharged and flashing an alarm. After I charged them up again the one totally discharged battery lags way behind the other two and I don't know if it ever gets fully charged.

I also would like to have my inverter fed from the grid (I have it hooked up), but I don't trust it to swich over when the batteries are too low.

I turn off my inverter and shut down my batteries every night, and whenever the SOC gets to 20% - whichever comes first.

I purchased the 6000EX the week it came out and have never done a firmware update. I would have liked help doing the firmware update as I am worried I might brick the system. All SS customer service ever did, when they did finally get back to me, was send me a link to do the update.
What kind of batteries are you using?

I have a 6000ex connected to three LifePower4 batteries. I have it configured to charge from the grid at 30% SOC and to stop at 95%. I have the low SOC cutoff set to 20%. All works well, especially here in Oregon on a string of cloudy days. Batteries start charging when SOC is just below 30% and stop at 95%. Getting to 100% didn't work well so dropped it to 95.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 08-54-24 SolarAssistant.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 08-54-24 SolarAssistant.png
    194.8 KB · Views: 17
I have a 6000ex connected to three LifePower4 batteries. I have it configured to charge from the grid at 30% SOC and to stop at 95%. I have the low SOC cutoff set to 20%. All works well, especially here in Oregon on a string of cloudy days. Batteries start charging when SOC is just below 30% and stop at 95%. Getting to 100% didn't work well so dropped it to 95.
I wish I had your settings. that would have saved me $1700. I guess there is a one or two wekk lead time on the 6000XP from CC. Is there anyway you could send me the settings on your 6000EX?
I would probably have to update the firmware too. That makes me a little nervous.

I wish I had your settings. that would have saved me $1700. I guess there is a one or two wekk lead time on the 6000XP from CC. Is there anyway you could send me the settings on your 6000EX?
I would probably have to update the firmware too. That makes me a little nervous.
I was running a TP6048 (6000ex close relative) for about a year.
I'd suggest you ditch communications with the inverter, set your battery to user and run everything off voltage.
14 - USE
17 - 55.2V or close to it.
18 - 54V or close to it. (54.8V should balance the cells if you don't get a full charge daily and they start to drift).
19 - 44V or higher
20 - 51V (this is the highest you can go and should keep you around 25% soc)
21 - 53V (this will keep your grid use to a minimum, you can bump it up if you have bad weather coming or want to charge fuller from the grid)

There is a thread on here somehow that has lots of different users settings, search for LVX6048 settings or something along those lines.

Note that I never updated the firmware on my TP6048, everything worked well enough out of the box.

Just saw this. I’ll get all the settings tomorrow. I do have it set for EG4 battery type with the communication cable attached. It all seems to work well together.

I did change the ups setting to appliance and is working good, not draining batteries

Okay...here are the settings I'm using for my inverter:

Option 14 Battery Type EG4
Option 19 Low DC Cut off battery voltage setting (EG4) 20%
Option 20 Bypass loads to grid when grid is present (EG4) 30%
Option 21 Set point for transfer back to off-grid operation is bypassed based on option 20 (EG4) 95%
Option 30 Scheduled Start Charging time for AC charger Default is 00 (midnight)
Option 31 Scheduled Stop charging time for AC charger Default is 00 (midnight)

diy solar

diy solar
Back