diy solar

diy solar

EV Range Extenders COOL but is anyone selling these in the US

Smokin

The concept is great. There are lots of them all different. Auto start stop and the list goes on. These things are perfect for solar charging in the Shadows of Winter
However can't find any in the US. Someone order a container.
Prices are good but the shipping is a deal breaker. I may jump the gun and order one anyway.
If you know a place to order and the shipping isn't a killer then please share.

The problem with generators is the sinewave isn't so great for the PFC circuit inside the chargers. This will fix that issue.
However it is possible to run a motor as a generator with a perfect sinewave. I may do that again and see how it goes.

Last edited:
interesting find. thanks Depending on the noise level those things could be a great addition for RV and Van built.

Here two things where you have to be careful: Voltage and Amps. It seems like that thing shut off at 27V - you need to figure out if that can be adjusted. That would not fully charge a LFP.

If it really chargers with 3000W @ 24V - that's 125A charging - make sure you batteries can take that much power in. Many BMS top out at 100A.

The price is amazing. an 3000W RV generator is like 10x that much - and is not producing the voltage I need.

It says in the link title that it is silent hahaha. I'm sure it is while it is not running.

And as a range extender for an EV? It probably pollutes more than if you just dropped a V8 in the damn car

A nice friendly camper at Borrego Springs ran one that looked just like that last week. He ran it 4-6 hours every day and you could hear it clearly five camp sites away.

I would pass

This generator style and discussion is not targeted at someone living in a car or van or a camper etc, that would not be so practical, let's say we not invite them to the discussion table, even if we did they wouldn't have voting privilges. That being said, this discussion is targeted at the Hill Billy living in a Shack or under a rock with a need to pump up a substantial battery bank. This would complement their stable of over priced Chinesium Junk tring to emulate a power co.

Last edited:
It says in the link title that it is silent hahaha. I'm sure it is while it is not running.

And as a range extender for an EV? It probably pollutes more than if you just dropped a V8 in the damn car

A nice friendly camper at Borrego Springs ran one that looked just like that last week. He ran it 4-6 hours every day and you could hear it clearly five camp sites away.

I would pass
I hate generator noise like every other sane person :p But I see the advantage of having a generator which charges DC directly - to keep the charging time at a minimum.

I've got 7.5kwh battery bank in my RV. (900W solar) but there are occasional days where there is no Sunshine and I run those batteries down.

My 24V AC-DC charger pumps about 1.5-2kwh per hour, when running from a 5500w Onan noise maker. So I need to run that thing 5 hours.
With a DC direct Generator - I could pump 3kwh in the battery - that would reduce the runtime by half. Sure I could just buy another 24V DC charger :p but when you start with nothing.

It's a lesser evil approach.

It's early in the adoption curve on these range extenders but they are comming and in a big way. Right now I haven't seen any selling in the Conus. This will change. Maybe Amy can order a container but we need to test different ones and come to a consensus. Me personly I would like to have 5 different ones to test. Matter of fact I want to test all of them at the same time in a Campground near you, Lol.

So sinch up those Depends old timers were going in.

The noise is managable.
The smell, well running on e85 will smell like a moonshine still, Oh Yeah.. Propane, Nat Gas, options and more options.
Charge profiles can be written and flashed.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back