diy solar

diy solar

EV's using Lifepo4?

42OhmsPA

What's in a title?
Does anyone know of a database of manufacturers using LiFePo4 chemistry in their EVs?

I really want to buy a used one for commuting to work, especially after adding the 3rd array and adding another ~15kwh of LiFePo4; the tax credit is the icing on the cake... I'll buy more batteries and maybe more efficient panels in 2024...

I don't need a huge battery pack / crazy range. ~50 mile round trip commute.

I’ve struggled to find concrete info on this as well so my plan has been to find a 2018-2021 leaf plus. The new ones no longer qualify for the credit since they are not assembled here, but the used ones still qualify for the 4000
Being that they are really designed for city commute, they lose resale quickly. They don’t have battery heating/cooling features so people on road trips seem to struggle with them
But the regular leaf has 40kwh and the plus has 60kwh. They both allow you to use the car as a generator. You can readily purchase replacement packs for them that ARE Lifepo4 (so if you wanted to buy say a first gen leaf with a bad battery for like 3 grand)
So while I don’t believe they are Lifepo4, they seem to integrate into a solar owners world reasonably
I’ve been seeing 2nd gen leafs with under 50k miles for like 15 grand pre tax credit

I do know that the new Tesla model 3 starting in 2022 is/can be purchased with Lifepo4
The new beginning in 2024 Rivians are supposed to be lifepo4
The low range ford Mach E as well in 2024

BYD Dolphin will be in a LFP version as well, but not sure if that comes to the US - it's in Europe this fall.
I've been looking for a similar resource for some time as well, to no avail. I wonder if there would be a market for an app/website that can report on all those detailed EV specifications...

Never even heard of BYD.

I am curious with LFP batteries.. what you get. IT seems like you should get extended range.. but then LFP are heavier generally but not by much. Do they offer more storage than lion? My understanding is LFP wont be "as quick" 0 to 60 or 40 to 80 passing, etc. But still faster/quicker than most ICE cars especially ICE that are just basic commuters and not sporty.

What I want is 600+ mile range on an EV that is around $40K to $50K. Quick is fun too.. but would rather have longer range that can last me 8 to 10 hours of driving if need be.. not that in my old age I can last that long before my bladder needs draining. That, and ability to charge from like 20% to 80% in 10 minutes or so.

I assume the LFP last a lot longer.. with 6000+ recharges from 0 to 100?

BYD is one of the biggest battery manufacturers in the world, together with CATL. BYD is China’s largest automaker.

I am curious with LFP batteries.. what you get.

Longer battery life and a battery that doesn't mind being charged to 100% all the time.

What I want is 600+ mile range

How often do you really need that? If you've ever seen Bjorn's videos on the '1000 km challenge' with EVs, it should be relatively straight forward to do that with minimal stops - which you should take anyway for safety.

I was considering the leaf but not having pack heating / cooling might be a deal breaker. I'll have to do some homework on how it would handle sitting outside in freezing temps for 10+ hours a day.

Tesla Model 3 SR that's made in China (50 something kwh) uses LFP.

For Tesla, LFP is only available currently on the standard range models, as LFP had lower energy density than other Lithium-Ion types. So for the longer range ones they don't use LFP.

In Europe and Australia, there are some EV models with LFP, but for the US, I'm not aware of any...

BYD Dolphin will be in a LFP version as well, but not sure if that comes to the US - it's in Europe this fall.
I've been looking for a similar resource for some time as well, to no avail. I wonder if there would be a market for an app/website that can report on all those detailed EV specifications...
I'm considering getting a BYD Dolphin, to replace my 2021 Corsa-e EV.
It has a 60kwh usable BYD Blade LFP battery and V2L up to 3kw. Could be useful for power outages...

I just did a short test drive last week. Pretty impressed I must say.

That's one of the reasons it's on my radar. I want LFP and V2L - allows me to charge the house battery, essentially extending my days of autonomy. I don't care about range, but I like it to be efficient. The Dolphin is one of the first vehicles available here to check those boxes.

I was considering the leaf but not having pack heating / cooling might be a deal breaker. I'll have to do some homework on how it would handle sitting outside in freezing temps for 10+ hours a day.
What about a bolt or even an e-golf

Edit: fwiw the 2nd gen leaf does have an available battery heater that will automatically kick on in single digits.
The Chademo is what really draws me to the leaf. I can use the batteries for more than driving for a stupid cheap entry cost

What about a bolt or even an e-golf
Looked at the bolt for a while and was looking at the egolf earlier today. Bolt is low on the list and I'm almost certain it's not using LFP. I was disappointed in the range reports for the egolf.
Edit: fwiw the 2nd gen leaf does have an available battery heater that will automatically kick on in single digits.
Good to know.
The Chademo is what really draws me to the leaf. I can use the batteries for more than driving for a stupid cheap entry cost
??

Back