diy solar

diy solar

External Marine BMS - REC vs X2

brendanisatsea

Do we have any Marine X2 experienced users in the forum?
I'm designing a system for my 40' cutter with a 2p4S 460AH bank, and I've narrowed down my BMS search to REC Vs. X2. I've shortlisted it to these two items because of a) Good reputation, b) CAN compatibility with Victron GX and c) Higher Amperage ratings than small internal BMS.

Despite the higher price tag I'm leaning towards X2 BMS for the marine environment because of their ABYC/DNV approval & built in alarm systems. They also have a neat function that can monitor a lead acid/AGM start battery.

Does anyone have any other recommendations to go either direction? Or are there other BMS I should be considering for this application?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I had never heard of the X2. Looks interesting. I like the Rec active, but you do have to buy a bunch of ancillary equipment like a pre charge unit for example, which appears to be included with the X2.

Check out www.taobms.com
Better then x2 and rec, developed by Phil Taos who is 100% lifeaboard sailor for complex marine environments. Then adapted for other user. The simulation Modus alone is genius. On the hp you find a bms comparison chart, that shows all the features.
Costs around 800Euro all in.

I'm using OrionBMS JR2 on my boat. I was going to use a Jr that I picked up for $300 but the seller sent me an older rev B which doesn't support the canbus integration. :/ So I ponied up and got the Jr2. The configuration application works, even if it feels a little clunky. Because I have a victron inverter, I can use both canbus integration AND the over-ride inputs on the inverter charger. (Had to add an optoisolator board to do this) It's happily reporting to my Cerbo GX.
I am integrating everything through the Cerbo (including my 3x MPPT chargers). I'm finalizing my design to NOT use a contactor. I am looking to use a BP to provide backup charging cutoff on the MPPT feeds. I have not opted to integrate my cerbo into nmea 2k so far.

I'm using OrionBMS JR2 on my boat. I was going to use a Jr that I picked up for $300 but the seller sent me an older rev B which doesn't support the canbus integration. :/ So I ponied up and got the Jr2. The configuration application works, even if it feels a little clunky. Because I have a victron inverter, I can use both canbus integration AND the over-ride inputs on the inverter charger. (Had to add an optoisolator board to do this) It's happily reporting to my Cerbo GX.
I am integrating everything through the Cerbo (including my 3x MPPT chargers).
I had this experience when you waste more money overall trying to save...should just pony and get the best from the start

I'm finalizing my design to NOT use a contactor. I am looking to use a BP to provide backup charging cutoff on the MPPT feeds. I have not opted to integrate my cerbo into nmea 2k so far.
So in place of a contactor you have a what?

Very happy with my REC ABMS myself, I'm running it fully integrated with my Victron setup and Wakespeed Alternator regulator. Works a treat for my 2p4s 460Ah LiFePO4.

I’d suggest the REC is excellent especially if you want Victron integration

Why not the new REC active. If your 12v

I presume you can actually buy one , I was talking to REC in Slovenia and they have a lot of production issues.

To me precharging is nonsense. When a battery disconnect occurs , there should be no automatic reconnection. So large loads like in invertors should be powered of anyway.

Last edited:
Back