diy solar

diy solar

First Solar Build - Design stage nearly finalised

NWPG

Hi All,

This is my first build and really just want to post the design here to see what you all think, and if I have missed anything or got anything wrong. Want to make sure all is safe before I start the build.

I'd also love it if you have any improvements or even criticism, if constructive. Still learning so appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers, Dean

Off Grid Solar System Design.jpg

Attachments

• Off Grid Solar System Design.pdf
    321.3 KB · Views: 3
My only comment is if you are using a 24v system - use a 24v lithium battery- not two 12v batteries in series.

With two in series they cannot balance between each other so you will have to pull them apart occasionally and top balance them giving lots of time for the internal balancers to work - then put them back to 24v. Much better and simpler to have a 24v battery (several of them in your case.

Is that the same with deep cycle leisure battery or just with lithium batteries?

Below is a link to the batteries I will be using.

Oh I missed that they were not lithium batteries…

One thing you may want to do. Tie all the 12v posts together and then monitor the mid-point.

You should probably have a shunt based battery monitor- I use Victron Smartshunt or BMV712. It has a mid-point battery monitoring. Read up on it and decide if it is worth it for you.

You may still have to pull the battery apart and recharge both half’s - the mid- point monitor will let you know when. My understanding is with a lead based battery you don’t have to do nearly as often but it will still need done very occasionally.

Back