diy solar

diy solar

Food For Thought per Youtube Videos - Realistic Solar Today on Ohio - Video (Kinda)

farmhand

Solar Enthusiast
Ya know, while buying the parts as we could afford, I binge watched more than proper youtube videos. I now KNOW how many were BS. ANYONE saying "Get the max out of your generator" while using 380-400w array is BSing us! Don't be fooled, load down on panels.
We overpaneled 300% on an ECO, and I'm GLAD we did!
-Here is what 2400w gets you on a snowy day in Ohio-
It will work for us, but really consider a LOT of panels for ANYTHING!

Solar power, your fair weather friend! One thing about it it lets you know anytime the sky is not clear. Until I put up my first panel I thought many days were more sunny than they were. Nothing hurts production as much as midday clouds. I also am not much fan of days that are cloudy all day until a few hours before sunset. Pretty sunsets don't generate power.

Solar power, your fair weather friend! One thing about it it lets you know anytime the sky is not clear. Until I put up my first panel I thought many days were more sunny than they were. Nothing hurts production as much as midday clouds. I also am not much fan of days that are cloudy all day until a few hours before sunset. Pretty sunsets don't generate power.

That is why I like to have at least a few panels facing the sun at that time of day. Mounted on a vertical wall.

If someone could come up with a satellite connection for solar panels, you could mount them on a truck and drive it to FL in the winter parking it in a Walmart parking lot. Problem solved ?

I grew up in NW OH, still have some family there near Toledo. My brother and I talk about solar and he wants me to build / ship a system to him for back up power, especially since he uses so little. Even then, it is a real challenge to make it useful. Probably will do it with poly panels to better capture the low / overcast light better.

It is worth considering wind as an option / supplement if that is viable for you.

This web site isn't the most modern in terms of tech, but I have bought a few items from them and the experience was very positive.

@HarryN there are plenty of solar supplies in Detroit or even Milan, OH which is south of Cedar Point.

If you grew up in NW Ohio I would bet you’ve been there.

@HarryN there are plenty of solar supplies in Detroit or even Milan, OH which is south of Cedar Point.

If you grew up in NW Ohio I would bet you’ve been there.

Thanks - yes I certainly have been to all of those areas many times.

When I completed my degree at Univ or Cinci in 1982, the US was in a depression so we ended up in Portland, OR.

I get back occasionally but not really since Covid.

For my brother I would have him purchase the solar panels and batteries locally, but assemble the rest in a few cases to make installation easier.

Solar is fine, but where he is, wind might be more viable or at least in combination.

There might be wind related suppliers in OH, I just happened to know of those guys because I have purchased a few things from them, mostly chargers.

Back