diy solar

diy solar

fused 18650 6kw/h 1.2kw Solar integrated in home.

Jani

IMG_20200113_175738.jpg
In the top left you can the a old windows tablet which is connected to an touch display on the outside of the enclosure to the and monitor the stats on an grafana server running on the Arduino mounted on the left side.
I am using a epever solar charger it is pretty much on it's limits with my solar array so not quite perfect jet but it dos work perfectly fine and gets cooled by the fan.
The black box above the inverter is an Automatic transfer switch to switch between off grid and on grid if the battery is empty. When the battery reaches a set voltage it reconnects automatically to battery power without interfering.

IMG_20191005_224309_867.jpg
I mounted 4 300W panels on my roof tho a total of 1200W max power output. It is facing West so not perfect but it is fine for me.
IMG_20190823_002241_134.jpg
It is a 7S 24V configuration with a total of 700 18650. Even so I have tested all cells and calculated the capacity per bank to be exactly the same they are not quite perfectly balanced. The active balancers are actually worth it in my case because I am normally only drawing around 100-200W they can keep up and will get a few more hours out of the pack.
The ANT BMS is connected to an relay which is in control of the positive wire. Tho I can program the BMS to my preferred settings and it will handle the system without any stress even sough the BMS would be able to handle the power I prefer this way.
IMG_20200306_181958.jpgIMG_20200307_222917.jpg
As you may can tell I have connected the charging cable to the relay which actually is not perfect the batter way would be to charge the battery over the BMS or an own relay controlled by the BMS which would be no problem with some soldering. I wanted to do that but until now even so it is winter here I only had to manually restart the system ones to get the battery charging again. Because the battery in this case would be disconnected from the charge controller as well as the inverter.

Sorry for the maybe not perfect English ;)
I am from Germany

If anyone has concerns or questions just tell/ask me .

Last edited:
Hi Jani, nice work,
I have similar roofing. Did you purchase panel rails together with panels, and was it difficult to install?
I wanted to ask you if you paid attention to the panels angle, but than realized you did not even bother with facing them south ... Seriously, facing them west? Could you not find flexible angle panel mount?

Hi user999
I purchased them separately but it is pretty much standart stuff. Installation was really easy and straight forward bud I am also working as an carpenter so not take my word ;)
I don't think it would make a big difference for me the panels produce around 250-300W with indirect light so my base load is easily covered a mounting solution to angle them would cost a lot more tho I personally prefer that way and at around 11am the sun start's to hit the panels for the las 5 month since installation I produced 250kwh ;) ( wintertime ) don't know what it would be if the panels faced south at the right angle but for west orientation with 45° roof angle it seems to me that they do pretty good.

diy solar

diy solar
Back