diy solar

diy solar

Generator for appliances or battery charging?

dodaly

Hi guys, it's heading towards winter in the uk and I'm starting to realise that my solar setup is not going to be enough to keep my batteries topped up. I have a dc to dc setup for 60a but I don't want to always be driving. Should I invest in a generator to run my appliances through the inverter plug in, if I do this would I need a pure sine inverter generator or would a dirty one be fine to plug into my renogy inverter. I'm more keen on the idea of keeping the batteries charged by using a small pure sine inverter generator and a ac to 12v charger like the fogstar drift 40a charger. But these are expensive compared to the other option, has anyone got a setup like this that works well?

Most inverter chargers really have a hard time with dirty power, but if you're just powering a DC power supply then it probably won't matter.

If you had an AIO or chargeverter then inverter pure sine is the only way to go.

What's the system you're keeping going? If it's in a vehicle already, I'd crunch the numbers on idling the existing engine. Paying for extra fuel and maintenance might be the most cost effective option. Maybe adding a second alternator that's optimized for charging, to reduce the time you need to idle.

What's the system you're keeping going? If it's in a vehicle already, I'd crunch the numbers on idling the existing engine. Paying for extra fuel and maintenance might be the most cost effective option. Maybe adding a second alternator that's optimized for charging, to reduce the time you need to idle.
Considered this but apparently we have no where to mount a second alternator, 600ah of lithium so alot of storage just no way to charge them without risking alot of new alternators

When charging batteries from a generator, it is important to have a charger with good AC power factor.

Most hybrid inverter/chargers have good AC input power factor for charging due to their synchronous rectification and PWM charge regulation. AC input charger only units often have poor power factor due to their simple rectifier-filter capacitor for AC to DC conversion.

Considered this but apparently we have no where to mount a second alternator, 600ah of lithium so alot of storage just no way to charge them without risking alot of new alternators

You would definitely have to use an alternator specifically built and regulated to charge lithium batteries.

When charging batteries from a generator, it is important to have a charger with good AC power factor.

Most hybrid inverter/chargers have good AC input power factor for charging due to their synchronous rectification and PWM charge regulation. AC input charger only units often have poor power factor due to their simple rectifier-filter capacitor for AC to DC conversion.
The problem is finding information on the charger and knowing if it would be good to use with a non pure sine wave

I'd think a cheap small generator and a cheap dc charger would be best. If the generator isn't sine wave then it'll just affect the charger. Alternatively maybe some suitcase solar panels might be a better idea.

Before either I'd hookup a clamp meter and see how many amps you're pulling from the alternator without the charger then with it and compare with the alternator amp limit. Also a good infrared thermometer will help determine if the alternator is overheating or not. The problem with alternators is they'll get well over 200F and start burning up. You can solve this by turning off the engine and letting it cool down. Alternatively you could get a larger alternator and that'll solve the issue.

If I were you I'd get remote start for my car and program it to run for 30 minutes to an hour at a time. push the button and you'd get 5-10% charge. Wait an hour or so for it to cool then push it again, or just a couple times throughout the day. If solar mostly handles the need now then you might just need a couple pushes.

I ended up resolved with the idea of using the alternator whenever I get low on battery and only using large appliances during winter whilst using a suitcase dual fuel generator I picked up. Hopefully a little solar and using the van should keep all the 12v and fridge running all winter.

Back