diy solar

diy solar

Good budget mounting systems for high wind areas?

Airstream34

Hi, I am looking at mounting 20-40 panels on a flat roof. I don't know exactly what the roof is but I assume most types of flat roof use similar types of mounting.

What is good and cheap out there?

Thanks.

Good, Fast (winds), Cheap, pick two?

I had good luck with IronRidge and their Halo Ultra Grip (HUG) roof mount, might work for you.
XR Rails come in 3 different sizes, and you can attach them at any pitch you want. I used the XR1000 on 2-foot/4-foot staggered mounts, but then hurricanes are a certainty for me.

Hi, I am looking at mounting 20-40 panels on a flat roof. I don't know exactly what the roof is but I assume most types of flat roof use similar types of mounting.

Thanks.
What? You want the cheapest solution for a roof you can't even define?

Just lay them flat on the roof, it will be fine 95% of the time.

What? You want the cheapest solution for a roof you can't even define?

Just lay them flat on the roof, it will be fine 95% of the time.
The other 5% of the time can be covered by attaching the frames to metal cables. It would look like a pretty kite if anything happens.

Thanks.
If I can ask, where are you located?
I'm looking into do my own racking as well. I can't justify paying the amount of money they charge for panel mounting hardware.
I've been looking into a couple of different options of structural tube, different shapes (round or square) and different types of metals (aluminum or metal).
I live south of Pheonix and I work in a machine shop where I have quite a few resources at my fingertips.
So far I've found I can get 2" round steel pipe 20 feet long for $25. That is far cheaper than anything else on the market.

I'm currently designing some racks that will hold 10 panels each (total of 50 or 60 panels) that I can also tilt for seasonal changes of the suns path.
I will be manufacturing my own fittings to hold everything together as well.

diy solar

diy solar
Back