diy solar

diy solar

Growatt Grid-Tied Inverter With Multiple MPPT’s With Different Number of Panels on Two Strings

bhbaker220

I’ve got a Growatt 10000 watt grid-tied inverter with 4 MPPT’s. I’ve currently have 10 400 watt panels with about 300 volts on a 4/12 pitch roof on one string going to one MPPT and 4 400 watt panels with about 120 volts on a 8/12 pitch roof on a second string on a separate MPPT. Both are on the same azimuth. The PV input range for the inverter is 60 to 600 volts

My question is does the second string with a lower voltage make the overall system less efficient, or does the different string voltage make no difference to the system performance? I could split the 10 panel string into two 5 panel strings and run each to a separate MPPT’s but I’m not sure if that would help other than with minimizing shading inefficiencies. Alternatively, I could add more panels to the 4 panel string but outside of generating more power from the additional powers, I’m not sure if a more similar voltage input into each MPPT helps with efficiency. I know if the voltage input is reduced to or below the minimum voltage of 60 volts per MPPT there will be issues for the inverter generating power but I don’t know if there is an efficiency gain with significantly more voltage (like approaching the 600 volt limit without going over).

Back