diy solar

diy solar

Heavy duty ring terminals?

tammons

I am making up an anderson 120 to ring terminal 4awg cable for a battery box I am modifying.
I bought these copper ring terminals ...
When I hydraulic crimped them one did not hold. The copper is too thin.
So I compared it to a factory cable from the box I am modifying and that ring terminal is silver plated, thick, and has a nice hydraulic crimp that looks like it would hold forever.

So the question is, can anyone point me to some heavy duty ring terminals on Amazon?

I am making up an anderson 120 to ring terminal 4awg cable for a battery box I am modifying.
So I compared it to a factory cable from the box I am modifying and that ring terminal is silver plated, thick, and has a nice hydraulic crimp that looks like it would hold forever.

So the question is, can anyone point me to some heavy duty ring terminals on Amazon?
SELTERM…had good luck with them from 8 ga to 4/0….Amazon…

Amazon is full of rubbish cheap products. Find a decent electrics company, failing that I've had better luck with ebay, often the companies selling there are "real" with their own stores too.

If it slips out when crimped with a 4 AWG die, crimp it with the next smaller size like 6 AWG.

Amazon is full of rubbish cheap products. Find a decent electrics company, failing that I've had better luck with ebay, often the companies selling there are "real" with their own stores too.
Amazon also has decent products if you ‘shop’ a bit and find what you’re looking for.
If it slips out when crimped with a 4 AWG die, crimp it with the next smaller size like 6 AWG.
Yes! I have a very useful “lever” hex crimper but it’s, umm, import. Affordable.
Often, I have to select the size according to how well it crimps a particular barrel, and sometimes have to two-step it. Plus, for most terminals, I crimp twice anyways- more contact has never hurt an electrical connection.

You mean AC/DC Supply or Security Measure? 🤪
Ha…the name Angus was supposed to be a hint of the direction i was referring , but then in todays world who knows what anything means for sure anymore..

This is the sort of problem that happens with the cheap hydraulic crimper from amazon. Marked in AWG but is in reality the metric equivalent most of the time. Also these will leave you with wings sticking out a lot of the time. But, even the good crimper like my trusty Temco will leave a wire loose with thin lugs and in that case I step down a half size.

This is the sort of problem that happens with the cheap hydraulic crimper from amazon. Marked in AWG but is in reality the metric equivalent most of the time. Also these will leave you with wings sticking out a lot of the time. But, even the good crimper like my trusty Temco will leave a wire loose with thin lugs and in that case I step down a half size.
I did about a lot crimps last year from 8 ga to 4/0 …. For system wiring stuff I will do a lot more this year……..sometimes it’s like a completely wrong number on the lug or the crimpers doesn’t work well at all on that gauge but great on others …

..sometimes the wire is not even the gauge it states…not even close ….. I never saw this 30- 40 years ago with marine parts… or rarely even 20 years ago remodeling places…

it’s frustrating at times…..

Like any mechanic or builder or workman, sometimes ya have to be able to adapt to things that are a tat off..

If you can make it work in a good fashion , then use it… if not , then don’t.
If your not sure , then don’t….

You have to be the judge as to what you can make work …or even if you should try…..!!
That only comes from experience…

As some have stated here, use the better vendors , and it’s generally a safer bet …Generally .!

I bought these, they're 2awg but they are super thick.

TXvbRdi.jpg

super thick.
I’ve bought similar tinned versions.
FWIW Windy Nation terminals on amazonian have been decent quality, and ‘I think’ Will has a code in the what to buy links so he can get a coupla cents for your purchases. (Thank you Will)

Anyways, I also use an oversized die to swage down the belled end once I’m crimped. Makes a more pro looking neck to heat shrink over.

Back