diy solar

diy solar

Help please with solar system in camper building

Troady

Hi guys, need a little advice over a building i am doing, got so far 4 solar panels 480 watts each, they will go with 4 lifepo4 280 Ah batteries build by myself from chinese EVE 3,2V cells. Now the question is: should be better to split the system into two 12V battery banks (for two different solar chargers controllers and 2 inverters 3 and 4Kw) or should i put the 4 batteries together? Got so far a 60, a 40 and a 30 amp solar controller, how can i combine them for the 4 batteries? Got so far (all 110V) a induction stove, 4Kw (not planning to use the two burners at the same time, so not going to the 4KW but only 2Kw), a water heater 1.44Kw, 110V fridge 7.3CF, microwave 1.2KW, Mini split, 1Kw, water pump, lights and laptops-tv another 1Kw. Expecting to go for two days with my batteries full (close to 16Kw total power or 1120 Ah). Thanks for any help. PD: you can point me to a similar setup from any of the guys here in the forum too.

Any chance the system can be reconfigured to 24 or 48 volts?

Otherwise I would run all batteries together as one block. Perfectly fine to attach multiple charging sources and multiple loads to a common bus.

Inverters are 12V, have already spend lot of money for the two of them, not changing now to other voltage, good news that is ok to use a common bus for solar controllers so will be using one bank of batteries for everything, just will separate two 110V lines out of it (one for each inverter).

... Got so far a 60, a 40 and a 30 amp solar controller, how can i combine them for the 4 batteries?...
With only 4 panels (480w) which equal 1920w, this could give ~160a of charging. Your SCC's do not really match up nor can you run 2 SCC to the same panel. There is also the matter of the SCC max Voc to take into account. Perhaps 2 in series to the 60a SCC (60a at 12v=720w) if it can handle the voltage and 1 a piece to the 40a (40a at 12v=480w) and 30a units (30a at 12v=360w). Altogether you would have 130a max charge potential. The 60a and the 30a SCC will be over paneled .

Thanks for you help, will it help if i got another 100amp SCC? Can run two panels at the 100amp and two at the 60 amp. Panels are 48 volt, i think that running higher voltage, SCC can have more of it with less amperage, Not sure about that last, SCC says Max input at 48V, 3600 watts, not sure if this 48V refer to panels or battery.

Attachments

• 20240715_191353.jpg
    20240715_191353.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
What will be the ideal setup for the 4 480 watts panels? That's the max i can get on my camper roof. Could they recharge the 280Ah batteries from 20% in 8 hour charging? Planning to go to baja, plenty of Sun. It is OOYCYOO a decent brand of SCC? They got a 100amp SCC for less than $200.

Last edited:
Thanks for you help, will it help if i got another 100amp SCC? Can run two panels at the 100amp and two at the 60 amp. Panels are 48 volt, i think that running higher voltage, SCC can have more of it with less amperage, Not sure about that last, SCC says Max input at 48V, 3600 watts, not sure if this 48V refer to panels or battery.
The label for the SCC shows a max Voc from the panels at 150vDC but if running a 12vDC battery your range of utilization is 18-60vDC. Without knowing your panels Voc (unless 48v is the actual Voc) I could only guess at if you can hook in Series or Parallel though likely need parallel if 48vDC.

The proposed 100a SCC should handle 2 of your panels since they add up to 960w and 100a is 1200w.

Charging your batteries from the panels you can pretty well figure by your panels wattage minus the fact of any reductions due to SCC max charge capability. For instance if on an average sunny day you have a 5 hour utilization. A 100w panel would develop 500wh which would give about 40ah of battery charge. This is a 8amps charge rate average. But let's say your SCC only outputs 5amps. Thus the average 5 hour sunny day rate would only give you 25ah. Though it may be more because being over paneled can result in more time at the SCC max charge rate.

Watts=Volts X Amps
Watt-hours= Watts X number of hours
Amp-hours=Amps X number of hours

diy solar

diy solar
Back