diy solar

diy solar

How low can you go! A silly, NOT dangerous internet challenge! :)

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So after reading about Another Stupid Internet Challenge I'm wanting to start one that ISN'T dangerous and might give us all a good chuckle. Many of us are dealing with winter weather on our systems and finding that the math and reality aren't even close to each other. So here's the challenge: How badly does your little starter system run? Here's the rules:

1: Go to the JRC Photovoltaic geography site.
2: Plug in your little array's information, you can use the old info if you've changed it around in the last 60 days.
3: Grab a screen shot of the bar graph off the bottom showing how much dead battery time you have and what your output SHOULD be.
4: Post a quick breakdown of wattage, battery capacity, and load.
5: Laugh (or cry) at your numbers along with the rest of us sharing in each others misery. :cry:

Winner becomes eligible for a spanking with a wet noodle, or something equally as ridiculous.

I'll start:

Driveway lights: 100w panel on PWM, 30Ah of AGM batteries, 120Wh/day load. 8 months where I'll have "Dead battery days"

Attachments

• jrc - driveway.jpg
    jrc - driveway.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 10
I’m too stupid to use that site…
I bought two harbor freight 45W setups, and an extra 15W panel, and tied it to the 30A pwm controller, tied to a bunch of car batteries tied together, rigged to my garage sub panel… with a 2500W inverter… MSW…
I ran all summer… before the batteries just refused to output any voltage anymore…

In my defence (misspelled on purpose) I had a lot of Mercedes’ car batteries… from junk cars I bought for fun…

Back