diy solar

diy solar

I think this is by far the most convenient way to travel but does not include long distances

What's the battery size & range?

These were on the news the other day, vaguely heard it as a "danger & a menace".
Looked it up, it appears Montreal doesn't like them and says they're 13x more dangerous than a bicycle.
I know nothing about these, but as I'm leary of what's on the news it would be nice to get an owner's take on it.

How's the balance/ride?
With the small tires, I'm thinking not much gyroscopic force to keep you balanced and every pothole lurking to chuck you off (possibly why they're a danger in Montreal).

Looks like the gyroscopic force just isn't that important...

They're very popular here for renting. You can just pick them up wherever, pay by phone and leave them wherever. They're picked up and charged at night.

Scooters are super easy to ride at low to moderate speeds, anything less than running speeds and you can pretty much just 'step off' and you are back to walking. Potholes/curbs are certainly more of an issue though.

I think part of the 'danger' aspect has more to do with others, than the rider themselves. They are popular in cities, but they don't really fit neatly into either bike lane traffic or crowded sidewalk traffic. They probably should not be ridden on crowded sidewalks but people do.

Another issue in SF (nuisance not danger) was people would just leave them anywhere, leave them in bushes/sidewalks/doorways/etc, much more of a nuisance than the bikeshare type systems in that respect. Forming social etiquette could sovle this last problem, or gamifying it somehow (some of the bikeshares give you a small credit if you return a bike to a hub or return a bike that was left outside of the area of operation).

I crashed one of those back in the Eighties. Pissed me off cuz I spilled my beer. It may have had an engine instead of a motor. I got another beer and lost interest in riding it. ?

Theyre being banned in a lot of cities because of the high number of faceplants and brain trauma injuries. Small wheels+potholes/obstacles+no head protection = tragic conequences. It wouldnt be that hard for the scooter companies to incorporate a helmet thats locked to the machine, and makes the machine inop until its worn, but obviously that would eat into their profits.

Scooters are super easy to ride at low to moderate speeds, anything less than running speeds and you can pretty much just 'step off' and you are back to walking. Potholes/curbs are certainly more of an issue though.

I think part of the 'danger' aspect has more to do with others, than the rider themselves. They are popular in cities, but they don't really fit neatly into either bike lane traffic or crowded sidewalk traffic. They probably should not be ridden on crowded sidewalks but people do.

Another issue in SF (nuisance not danger) was people would just leave them anywhere, leave them in bushes/sidewalks/doorways/etc, much more of a nuisance than the bikeshare type systems in that respect. Forming social etiquette could sovle this last problem, or gamifying it somehow (some of the bikeshares give you a small credit if you return a bike to a hub or return a bike that was left outside of the area of operation).
It was almost amusing the way the bikes were treated with such disrespect in san diego. Most were stolen and stripped or painted and ridden by the homeless... Those that remained were destroyed by average citizens. The whole fad lasted maybe 6 months.

Meh. I rather take my red scooter.

View attachment 77995
Do you pedal it or is that one of those power wheels?
Seriously though that color... Dont tell us you have a modified (loud) exhaust too. Theres no way you can drive it fast shouting to the world (police) "look at my fast car!"
When I bought my '86 C4 coupe it was silver beige, that kinda champagne color. At dusk it disappeared into the concrete of the freeway and I kept the pipes stock.
Drove it as fast as I wanted cops never noticed it.

Do you pedal it or is that one of those power wheels?
Seriously though that color... Dont tell us you have a modified (loud) exhaust too. Theres no way you can drive it fast shouting to the world (police) "look at my fast car!"
When I bought my '86 C4 coupe it was silver beige, that kinda champagne color. At dusk it disappeared into the concrete of the freeway and I kept the pipes stock.
Drove it as fast as I wanted cops never noticed it.

I freed up the exhaust system and it has a few other tricks under the hood. Race sway bars front and back, zero body roll, very high cornering speed. When I roll off a drive way sideways, one tire is in the air. And when there's no traffic around, I drive it very hard. A Uniden scanner kept me out of trouble so far, but any modern fast car is a risk.

I used to race in SuperBike class, on a club level. 200 horses to the rear wheel at 370 pounds dry. THAT was fast.

I don't think my Z51 got less attention.

Last edited:
I freed up the exhaust system and it has a few other tricks under the hood. Race sway bars front and back, zero body roll, very high cornering speed. When I roll off a drive way sideways, one tire is in the air. And when there's no traffic around, I drive it very hard. A Uniden scanner kept me out of trouble so far, but any modern fast car is a risk.

I used to race in SuperBike class, on a club level. 200 horses to the rear wheel at 370 pounds dry. THAT was fast.

View attachment 78042

I don't think my Z51 got less attention.

View attachment 78044
This was my 7th and last motorcycle it was perfection in its time.

FJ84 (1).jpg

diy solar

diy solar
Back