diy solar

diy solar

Inverter/Battery assisted generator setup for trailer

anthony24

Planning a concession trailer for soft serve ice cream. Because of the large 220v power requirements for these machines most people recommend a 20kw diesel generator.

I was wondering if a suitable inverter and battery could be used to offset the peak draw when the compressor kicks on and allow a smaller, quieter generator to be used to keep the battery topped off.

I have no experience with any DIY setups but it makes sense to me in theory. Maybe paralleled EG4 8ks? I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Anything is possible. Do an energy audit to see how much power you need and the surge of the equipment. After that it is just math and $$$s.

First thing that comes to mind is Victron equipment. Because it has grid assist. Which is the function that you are referring to.

Is this the same as power assist? Was just checking it out and it does seem ideal. Am I correct that if I had a 10kw generator and 10kw inverter power assist would allow output of 20kw?

Is this the same as power assist? Was just checking it out and it does seem ideal. Am I correct that if I had a 10kw generator and 10kw inverter power assist would allow output of 20kw?
You might also check whether the equipment really needs that power draw, or whether it's being used to cover surge and inductive loads from the refrigerators/freezer compressors. You might be able to get those down using fancier inverter driven equipment, or explore the "soft start" (slight pun for this application noted!) equipment typically used with Air conditioners, that might reduce any surge so that you can run smaller generator/inverters.

I'm not familiar with the term "power assist". So I don't know how it functions.
But Victron grid assist lets you set the limit from your generator. And uses the battery to cover the rest during surges.
But you still need a generator large enough to cover your averaged load. Or you will be depleting the battery. Which may be acceptable, if you have enough battery capacity to assist through the day. Then it can be charged during off hours.

It's definitely the compressor loads causing the issues. I have heard of the soft start equipment used for ACs and wondered if they could be applied but what kind of fancy inverter setup are you referring to?

It's definitely the compressor loads causing the issues. I have heard of the soft start equipment used for ACs and wondered if they could be applied but what kind of fancy inverter setup are you referring to?
I just meant that perhaps some refridgerators have lower surge requirements, in the way that "inverter driven" AC units (e.g., mini-splits) don't have the same surge requirements as non-inverter driven AC units. So just spit balling by analogy :)

Back