diy solar

diy solar

Is 500 ft. of wire too much for this system (pic)?

brbl2934

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 11.47.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 11.47.05 PM.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 3
Sounds like you are running 120ac to the cabin. Using PV wire seems like the expensive route as you need to run 3 wires L-N-G. Thats 450ft of your PV wire to do a 150ft run.

Id look at 8/2 UF to do that.
The wire I linked above...is that just to connect solar panel to solar panel, and solar panel to all-in-one inverter?

Yes. It technically meets specifications for AC wiring, but that would be uncommon to use it that way. UF-B direct buried or THHN in conduit is the standard.
Just want to see if I put this together correctly and understand....

If I use the PV 500 ft wire linked above, I'd have to make 3 x 150 wires, one serving as each of, L, N, and G?

With the 8/2 UF, I only need 150 ft because the wire already contains each of the L, N, and G wires within it?

Just want to see if I put this together correctly and understand....

If I use the PV 500 ft wire linked above, I'd have to make 3 x 150 wires, one serving as each of, L, N, and G?

With the 8/2 UF, the wire already contains each of the L, N, and G wires within it?
Yes

Yes but there's also a rule about using the right colors on wire that small, which would be black white and green. Are you stuck using this wire cause you already bought it? If not, don't use it for this. If you are, then I understand why you might do it anyway.

The next thing you should calculate is voltage drop with your specific volts, amps, distance and wire size. Southwire has a prety easy to use voltage drop calculator.

diy solar

diy solar
Back