diy solar

diy solar

Issue with setting the Right Parameters for my charge controller

Easyyokefilms

I seem to be finding it hard to know the right parameters I should enter into my HQST MPPT charge controller for my Litime 12v 200ah battery.

Here is the problem…
Manufacturer specifies that Boost Charge Voltage is 14.6V
Float 13.6V

When my battery is below 50% in the morning when I start charging, setting this parameter seem to work fine and sometimes not. Sometimes, this is what happens…. Since my Boost Charge Voltage is 14.6V, and I leave the boost duration to 2hours; sometimes at the end of that 2hours, the CC controller enters float while the battery is just 70% making it impossible for the battery to get fully charged by the end of the day.
If I increase the boost charge duration to, say 3-4hours, sometimes the battery get filled up to 100% without the CC entering float and the BMS trips causing the charge controller to flash error light continuously until the Pv input is switched off with my PV DC breaker. If I am not at home, I fear this may stress my BMS and possibly cause a damage somewhere along the line as the controller continues to push power into my battery and the BMS continues to trip to protect the battery.

Another day, say my battery was around 90%, and charging starts, because my Boost Voltage is set to 14.6V or 14.4V sometimes, at 90% because the battery has rested overnight, I notice by the time the battery is 100% full, my battery Voltage is just around 13.6, so the controller ends up continue charging in MPPT mode without entering float since Boost Charge Voltage is set to 14.4V or 14.6V.

How do I address this issue. I am afraid my BMS may get stressed if this continues to happen and this may damage my BMS. And the days the Controller enters Float, my battery ends up not getting fully charged.

What is reporting the % charge? The BMS? If so, can you also see the cell voltages?

If not the BMS, what reports %?

14.6V is typically too high to reliably charge to without triggering over voltage protection (OVP).

It is VERY important that you check that your connections between your MPPT and your battery use appropriate wiring AND are very secure and of high quality. If you have excessive resistance between charger and battery, the charger "sees" boost/absorption voltage prematurely and it can easily result in undercharging.

Just prior to attaining 14.6V on the MPPT under max amps, recommend you:

Record MPPT voltage:
Measure voltage at the MPPT battery terminals:
Measure voltage at the battery terminals:

diy solar

diy solar
Back