diy solar

diy solar

JA 595W Bi Facial

kaizerSolar

We use the new JA Solar 595w Bi Facial panel. Thes panels are used for roof mounted systems as well, how exactly does the bootom side work since its facing the roof. Other thing is does moisture build up on the under side of the panel?

They work off reflected rays, so they work best held away from the mounting surface and with the surface being reflective. So lying close down on a roof will gain very little energy.

They work off reflected rays, so they work best held away from the mounting surface and with the surface being reflective. So lying close down on a roof will gain very little energy.
Not entirely.

It has been demonstrated there is power gain in bifacial panels even with no reflection. How?

Through transmission from the front. Imagine the front semiconductor junction as sunglasses. It blocks a lot of light, but not all of it. If you don't believe me look at the back of normal panels in partial shade. You can clearly see where shade is on the back. So in normal panels a lot of light goes through the panel.

With bifacial this light gets turned into energy as it passes through the second semiconductor junction (from the back) and if we have a reflective surface a lot of it gets reflected and has a chance to convert to electricity again.

So this is how bifacial panels can still make more power even if completely blocked on the back.

We use the new JA Solar 595w Bi Facial panel. Thes panels are used for roof mounted systems as well, how exactly does the bootom side work since its facing the roof. Other thing is does moisture build up on the under side of the panel?
Per the spec sheet I found it has 2mm glass front and back. Moisture shouldn't be a problem. Also, solar panels get quite hot pretty much any moisture should rapidly evaporate with bit of sun.

Per the spec sheet I found it has 2mm glass front and back. Moisture shouldn't be a problem. Also, solar panels get quite hot pretty much any moisture should rapidly evaporate with bit of sun.

Just out of curiosity. I wonder if water somehow got into a silicon solar panel, would it cause any damage through corrosion? I know perovskite cells are extremely sensitive to moisture (as are many other products like OLED screens). How about a silicon diode?(that's what our panels are). Does anyone know ?

I have one of these jinko 585W panels with cracked glass (long story described in another thread) and I wonder if I can get anything out of it...

Once the glass is cracked its just a matter of time before corrosion gets to the tracks and the panel shorts out or the tracks do not conduct. I have one that I coated with clear polyurethane varnish still working after 3 years but its on its own so when it does fail nothing else will be affected.

Per the spec sheet I found it has 2mm glass front
This is what puts me off. It seems there are small gains from this tech on home use systems, but 2mm vs 3.2 mm glass is a big difference when it comes to hailstones, something becoming more frequent here.

diy solar

diy solar
Back