diy solar

diy solar

LiFeP04 wiring question

billynoah

I have a new residential installation with 2 KiloVault HAB batteries connected to a Sol-Ark 12K. There have been a few anomalies which I consulted with KiloVault (alteE Store) about and have yet to get an authoritative answer.

SMELL:
There is a slightly sweet chemical smell that began shortly after installation and seems to increase while charging. I guess this could simply be "new electronics" or smell of the electrical tape wraps but as I'm quite new to this technology I don't want to ignore anything that might be a problem without being educated about it. Since then, the smell hasn't gotten particularly better or worse but more recently has changed to a slightly sour smell - almost like a dead animal. In all seriousness, there very well could be a dead mouse somewhere in my mechanical room! It's a bit disconcerting though because the smell is distinctly in the area of the batteries. Is this something to be concerned about? If so, what are my next steps?

WIRING:

KiloVault requested information on how the batteries are wired and when I explained that they are wired in a "diagonal pattern" they expressed concern. By diagonal I mean that there is one wire connected to the inverter which is wired to positive on one battery and negative on the other. Then a short jumper runs from one battery to the other on each side.

diagonal-wiring.png

Essentially "method 2" here: http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html where he states:

... if you only have 2 batteries, then simply linking them together and taking the main feeds from diagonally opposite corners cannot be improved upon.

As far as I have learned, this is a popular and acceptable method of wiring. I was then told that BMS varies from battery to battery and that the way KiloVaults are designed the batteries should be either:
  • (a) a separate cable run from each battery directly to the inverter
  • (b) a separate cable run from each battery to a busbar which is then wired to the inverter
I'm prepared to rewire these as they suggested but I'd rather not unless there's actually a good reason for this. At this point, I have yet to get a clear answer from anyone indicating why the BMS would require such a wiring pattern and how this is effectively any different from how it's currently wired.

Attached are some photos of the way things are now.

Attachments

• master-a.jpg
    master-a.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 4
  • master-b.jpg
    master-b.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 3
  • slave-a.jpg
    slave-a.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 3
  • slave-b.jpg
    slave-b.jpg