diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a 12VDC fuse block that takes bare wire feed-through into screw terminals

douglasheld

I'm looking for a nice quality fuse block, but I don't want to commit to crimping blade connectors or ring terminals onto everything. I really would like to connect in bare wires and just screw them down.

I'm finding it very difficult to find... anything that doesn't rely on these crimped connectors.

Here is one possible product I've found, but the picture is blurry and it uses those weird fuses from my first VW: https://www.autoelectricalspares.co...8-way-with-screw-terminals-6v--12v-1926-p.asp

Can anybody point me in a direction? (or give me some direction) Thanks.

nice quality fuse block, but I don't want to commit to crimping blade connectors or ring terminals onto everything
You won't get a nice fuse block unless you are prepared to terminate the cables correctly using crimp connectors. This type, using blade fuses, is recomended, use 5.3mm ring connectors for power feeds and 4.3mm ring or fork for the fused outputs.

The automotive fuse box in your link uses 'torpedo' fuses, common in older vehicles in Europe. Perhaps useful for tempory circuit testing but not ' best practice'.

The picture in a previous post indicated that there were no fuses on the cables connected to the battery positive, for safety fuses should be fitted as close as practical to the power source, the battery. The breaker you have installed is useless, it will fail to protect correctly, or introduce an unwanted volt drop, or melt and set on fire, perhaps all three simultaneously!

Mike

How about this?

Thank you, that is very nice! Maybe nicer than I was looking for.

Thanks for the searching advice. I've now found a handful of products matching what I was after:

The picture in a previous post indicated that there were no fuses on the cables connected to the battery positive, for safety fuses should be fitted as close as practical to the power source, the battery. The breaker you have installed is useless, it will fail to protect correctly, or introduce an unwanted volt drop, or melt and set on fire, perhaps all three simultaneously!

Mike

Thank you for your advice. Yes indeed, I am working out fusing of this system after getting it up and running, which is less than ideal.
In fact I have now fried my solar panel, almost certainly due to the lack of a fuse. I thought I was being careful, but I must have touched the wires to something.

Update on 2024-02-25: the panel didn't fry from the lack of fusing. It fried from poor manufacturing. See https://diysolarforum.com/threads/pv-panel-no-longer-working.78129/post-1019407

Last edited:
Most DC circuit run rather high currents, for a low resistance connection you need a lot of surface are, much better given by a ring terminal than a bare screw terminal

Back