diy solar

diy solar

Looking to max out a Huawei Hybrid Inverter L1 (HV) with optimized panels

Hoplite

Hi there,

I am based in Ireland and restricted to a 5kw inverter @24 amps.

In order to maximize these restrictions I am looking to build the following system but I have a few questions.

This will be on a domestic house with grid feed in as available here in Ireland.

System:
-Huawei Hybrid Inverter L1 (HV)
-22 Jinko 435 Ntyoe all black = 9.57kw system
-22 SUN2000-450W-P power optimizers

Fully south-facing roof, No battery for a year or two.

Questions.
1) Does it "stress" the system or cause any sort of fire hazard maxing out this inverter and having no battery? What happens on a sunny day if the full 9.75kw is being fed to the inverter and no battery load is required and no house load e.g. if we are on vacation?

2) If I can find the various brands of mounting equipment here in Ireland, is it possible to get advice from this forum regarding lengths required, number of connectors etc?. I am completely lost here.

3) My electrician doesn't have any solar experience. How is a system like this started up for the first time, what apps are used to monitor performance etc.

4) Lastly how are the optimizers attached to each panel? are they zip tied to the rails somewhere?

Thank you for takin the time to help.

Your inverter never sees 9.57kw as the panels do not push but instead the inverter pulls and its max pull is 5kw, any excess is turned into heat in the panels. Huawei will have in their specs the max kw of panels they recommend and also the max voltage which you want to be at least 10% below or more. If Huawei allow a 9.57kw array then design your strings to meet the voltage/amps requirements. On a cold late morning as a cloud departs leaving full sun the panels will produce more watts than their 435W, my 270's have generated 330w in exactly those conditions for a few minutes until they heat up.

If you are not in the house and there is no consumption or battery to be charged then all the excess made goes to the grid, I have a diverter in place and that sends excess to a Willis immersion heater (used a lot in NI so easy to get) until the tank is up to temp.

Your inverter never sees 9.57kw as the panels do not push but instead the inverter pulls and its max pull is 5kw, any excess is turned into heat in the panels. Huawei will have in their specs the max kw of panels they recommend and also the max voltage which you want to be at least 10% below or more. If Huawei allow a 9.57kw array then design your strings to meet the voltage/amps requirements. On a cold late morning as a cloud departs leaving full sun the panels will produce more watts that their 435W, my 270's have generated 330w in exactly those conditions for a few minutes until they heat up.
Thank you for that. So, am I correct in saying that the optimizers regulate down the excess power/shut-off panels?

You will have to search for that answer, I use optimisers but only to mitigate shading not to downrate the panels and I did not consider reducing output as the inverter takes what it needs as long as its there to take. So out of my 31 panels I have 6 with optimisers as those panels are shaded in the morning, all the rest are dawn to disk full sun so no optimiser is needed.

Back