diy solar

diy solar

Low Temperature Protection?

Ando72

Hello. I purchased this battery about 4 years ago for my off grid cabin. It was dirt cheap because it was used. It was advertised at 70% to 80% usable capacity (5.12 KWh when new). It didn't bother me because even at 3.5 to 4.0 KWh, it was more than I needed. And after 4 years, it is still going strong and is more than enough for what I need. I do have a question. I'm only at my cabin 1 day a week, so it is cold in winter. The battery itself routinely falls below 32 degrees. When I leave, I check the forecast and shut off my solar panels if I think it will get too cold. Upon closer inspection of the data sheet, i says operating temp is 0 to 50 degrees C. Makes sense. Don't want to charge below freezing. But then under that, it says that "During the charge at the low temperature, current limitation is applied". Does that mean it will allow very low C charging below freezing (which is safe, from what I understand). If so, I could just leave my solar panels on all the time. I have looked everywhere and can't find any more information on this model. Does anyone have the same or similar model and know about low temp charging? Thank you in advance for any information that you might be able to provide.

s-l1600.jpg

says that "During the charge at the low temperature, current limitation is applied". Does that mean it will allow very low C charging below freezing (which is safe, from what I understand). If so, I could just leave my solar panels on all the time. I have looked everywhere and can't find any more information on this model. Does anyone have the same or similar model and know about low temp charging?

Getting good at reading chinglish instructions I am. Translation I offer lol

I don’t know anything about your battery. But I would read that to say, “at the lower temperature of the operating range one should reduce the charging current.”

It says nothing about -32*F or 0*C so I would assume it’s like every other LiFePo4 battery.

Read lots of Chinglish instructions too lol.
I am guessing the words "During the charge at the low temperature, current limitation is applied" means when the operating temp gets close to 0℃, the charging current will be reduced.
You should still keep it working in that range.

Back