diy solar

diy solar

LVX6048WP unconventional AC connections and questions

Browse

Solar Enthusiast
So, if anyone has any experience with the MPP LVX6048WP model inverter and general AC connections, I have a strange configuration I need to brainstorm to ensure what I'm doing is going to work as expected. I'm in the process of building a "detachable" emergency battery backup system to power the house as a secondary power source to my portable tri-fuel inverter generator. I'm planning on buying 4 SOK rack mount batteries to power the house when we're not using the portable generator. The LVX6048WP will not be permanently wired...I'm planning on hooking it up using 10AWG detachable generator cords so I can easily take the system with me when we sell the house. We don't have any PV solar panels or inputs at this time and likely won't install any until after we move and find a better location.

For short outages, the plan would be to use the LVX6048WP to feed my load center via an interior outlet using the L14-30R connection below (controlled by the existing two pole 30A interlock breaker). Consider this an interior power display & input box with a receptacle instead of a plug. I made it from an old unused mechanical timer box which used to control the pool pump before we got a programmable variable speed pump. The exterior generator wouldn't be connected to the standard input box at this time. For safety purposes, I may replace the receptacle on the display box with a recessed plug w/cover. I was originally going to use this as an inside 240V outlet since we don't have any of those, but I was able to make room in my load center to add another 240V 30A breaker, thus allowing me to add the L14-30R outlet shown on the bottom left. Gen_Display_Box.jpeg

For longer outages, we'd use the exterior input box from the portable generator, and connect the input of the LVX6048WP to a separate L14-30R basement outlet which is on a different 30A 240V breaker (bottom left of attached image). The output cord of the LVX6048WP inverter would be manually disconnected.

Load_Center.jpeg

This would allow us to recharge the batteries while the generator is also powering the load center. The plan would be to use the portable generator during the day and use the inverter/battery system at night, putting the portable generator in the garage to prevent theft.

I haven't purchased the inverter or batteries yet and I suppose this would be considered an "off grid" system. When utility power is available, the interlock and input breaker would not be used, the batteries would charge via a normal 240V outlet and the inverter output would be off and physically disconnected.

Am I missing something to my plan? I was looking at the inverter manual and didn't even see an on/off switch. Manual is here:

The unit has a dedicated generator input, but I don't think I'd being using it due to my "detachable" setup. I've never owned an all-in-one inverter before, so I'm trying to learn how best to do this without a hard install (conduit, subpanel, transfer switch, etc). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Also, any reason this system wouldn't work with a different inverter and batteries? For example, I'm now looking at a Growatt SPF 8000T DVM-MPV
and LIFEPOWER4 batteries as an alternative to the MPP/SOK combination since there is a sale going on:

(1) Growatt SPF 8000T DVM-MPV https://signaturesolar.com/growatt-48v-8kw-250vdc-split-phase-off-grid-inverter/
(4) 48V LIFEPOWER4 batteries https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifepower4-lithium-battery-48v-100ah/
(1) Pre built 6 space rack https://signaturesolar.com/pre-assembled-eg4-enclosed-battery-rack-6-slot-wheels-included/
(1) 84" AWG wires to inverter https://signaturesolar.com/84-in-1-awg-battery-to-inverter-cables-black-red/
(4) 6 AWG wires for batteries https://signaturesolar.com/12in-6-awg-battery-to-busbar-cables-black-and-red/
(1) Battery Comm Cable https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifepower4-read-write-cable/

In general, what you want is definitely doable.
But not sure if I am following the details.
For portability, an AIO and server rack batteries are the best option in my opinion.

In general, what you want is definitely doable.
But not sure if I am following the details.
For portability, an AIO and server rack batteries are the best option in my opinion.
Well, I ordered the Growatt 12k instead of the 8k along with (4) LIfepower4 batteries with rack today, taking advantage of the SS sale and shipping special. Hopefully everything arrives in good condition. I'd be curious to know if it will start my 4-ton HVAC unit which has a soft starter on it. I'll have to try it next year when the weather gets warmer.

Well, I ordered the Growatt 12k instead of the 8k along with (4) LIfepower4 batteries with rack today, taking advantage of the SS sale and shipping special. Hopefully everything arrives in good condition. I'd be curious to know if it will start my 4-ton HVAC unit which has a soft starter on it. I'll have to try it next year when the weather gets warmer.
It should be a fun project.
As far as the AC.
I would think that it should. Especially with a soft start.

Can anyone recommend recommend a fuse and dc breaker between the battery rack and the inverter? The output of the inverter will be using the same interlock breaker that my generator uses, so I won't be able to output more than 7 kw max continuous from the inverter which is more than enough for my house during an outage. There may be a less than 1 second spike when the AC turns on, so the system could see a surge up to 12kW as the compressor kicks in. I'm seeing on the charts that 1 AWG from the rack to the inverter is good for up to 200A, so maybe a DC breaker around that size will be good or should I go smaller? These wires already have 5/16" terminals for the rack and inverter connections, so I may need to get some terminals if I splice in a breaker or fuse.

Amazon has a 60VDC 125A Nader breaker that should accept this wire, and I believe it wouldn't trip immediately if I pulled 200A for a 1 second inrush:

Last edited:
Hmmm...think that is the wrong breaker. Doing some research, it looks like DC breakers are directional? Maybe I just need a T class fuse and call it done since the individual batteries have breakers built in for shutting off power to the inverter.

I'm new to this forum... I'm hoping this is the right thread for my questions. I'm trying to find information regarding the Generator Input from this LVX6048WP unit. Can I use it as an automatic transfer switch between AC In and Generator In for my UPS usage? Can I program an activation delay for my generator? I'm trying to avoid to buy an ATS in addition.

The Victron Quattro 5000kw will fit my requirements for my critical loads with two AC inputs but it's expensive especially for split-phase applications when you need to buy two of them.

Back