diy solar

diy solar

Mix of 600v and 1000v panels?

grebaba

I have 10 1000v panels all ready mounted and ordered 21 panels from san tan solar.
I know I checked before ordering and the ad stated they were 1000 volts bur after unpacking them the sticker said 600v.
Will I have any problems running these with the 1000v panels on the same charger?
They are jinko 265w and SSI 260w panels.
I know I will lose 5 watts per panel on the Jinco's if ran together but except for the volts I don't see a problem.
SSI's are voc-38.4
MPV 30.4
isc-8.79
max power-8.24
Voltage-1000
jincos's are
voc-38.6
vmp-31.4
isc-9.03
mpc-8.44
Volts say 1000v from san tans website but labels on the back say 600v's.
Greg

I have 10 1000v panels all ready mounted and ordered 21 panels from san tan solar.
I know I checked before ordering and the ad stated they were 1000 volts bur after unpacking them the sticker said 600v.
Will I have any problems running these with the 1000v panels on the same charger?
They are jinko 265w and SSI 260w panels.
I know I will lose 5 watts per panel on the Jinco's if ran together but except for the volts I don't see a problem.
SSI's are voc-38.4
MPV 30.4
isc-8.79
max power-8.24
Voltage-1000
jincos's are
voc-38.6
vmp-31.4
isc-9.03
mpc-8.44
Volts say 1000v from san tans website but labels on the back say 600v's.
Greg

That's just the max rated series voltage, i.e., you can't wire them to produce more than that in series. Almost certainly not relevant to you in any way.

Your MPPT will limit you to less than 600V.

The voltage rating is referring to the maximum voltage of the diodes and/or wiring insulation. Unless the string is going to exceed 600V the panels should function well together since they have similar Vmp and Imp specs. Is this a commercial installation which exceeds 600V?

No, it is limited to 450v.
Thanks for the answers, now I can wire the new panels up.
Greg

Yep, and they are pretty good matches for each other. Best to put them in their own strings with each other, but you will only see mild penalties if you have to mix and match them or put two strings in parallel on the same MPPT.

Make sure you allow cold temp margins for keeping Voc under 450V. OK weather is a bitch, and you need a good sized margin. Off the top of my head, I'd say keep them to 10S or less. Also worth noting that any parallel strings on the same MPPT will need to have the same number of panels.

With 31 panels, you have an odd man out.

I was planning on running 10 panels in series for about 400v that will give me a 50v margin this winter.
The other 20 will be in a s-p configuration for the Victron 450 200 I am going to order on the next sale. With 2 charge controllers build in I can run 2 strings to it.
I ordered the 21 panels because that is what came on the pallet do I guess I will have an extra.
Greg

I was planning on running 10 panels in series for about 400v that will give me a 50v margin this winter.

I'll use 390V. Using a conservative Voc temp coefficient, you should be good down to about 9°F.

The other 20 will be in a s-p configuration for the Victron 450 200 I am going to order on the next sale. With 2 charge controllers build in I can run 2 strings to it.

I would love one of those too. I have a 250/100 right now.

The RS 450/200 has FOUR independent MPPT, not two. I would just put each 10S string on its own MPPT.

I ordered the 21 panels because that is what came on the pallet do I guess I will have an extra.
Greg

A spare or two is a good idea. If any are broken, the only thing they can do is refund you for the broken panels.

I got a little confused on the cc.
I am between the 450-100 and the 450-200.
The 200 would be better for me so I could just run 10 to each controller but I was looking at the $1000.00 difference in price.
I have about decided to go with the 200 to keep from having to add another 100 in the future. 2 100's would be a little more in cost then 1 200.
I am at the limit on my panels because I don't have the space to add any more.
I am hoping in the future they will bring out a larger wattage panel about the same size of my present ones so I could increase my production without having to make more room for them.
Two years ago it got down to -17F here and this year it was down to -4F so it can get cold.
I will have to watch how much voltage I put into the cc.
Greg

Given that you're pretty close to the Voc limit, I would check the specific Voc temp coefficient of your panels. The value I used was -0.4%/°C. Many panels are better (less negative, .e.g., -0.32%/°C), and give more margin.

I made the n00b mistake of runnin 3S 45Voc panels on a 150V controller with temps that get down into the single digit °F. My panels are -0.36%, so that's probably why I didn't blow out my 150/100 the first winter...

I got a little confused on the cc.
I am between the 450-100 and the 450-200.
The 200 would be better for me so I could just run 10 to each controller but I was looking at the $1000.00 difference in price.
I have about decided to go with the 200 to keep from having to add another 100 in the future. 2 100's would be a little more in cost then 1 200.
I am at the limit on my panels because I don't have the space to add any more.
I am hoping in the future they will bring out a larger wattage panel about the same size of my present ones so I could increase my production without having to make more room for them.
Two years ago it got down to -17F here and this year it was down to -4F so it can get cold.
I will have to watch how much voltage I put into the cc.
Greg
I had the same decision to make. I ended up going with a single 450/100 for now, and then another down the road once I've fully paneled out the first one. Reason being to give some redundancy, otherwise with all eggs in a single 450/200 basket a failure there would be a problem until it was repaired/replaced.

I have ten Hyundai 300W panels on one tracker, and will soon be trying ten Aptos 370W on the second tracker. There's a 4000W output limit per tracker in addition to max total output of 100A. Overpanelleling is fine.

good points.
I was wondering about over paneling.
Right now I have a small extra system I am learning to use.
At present it has 600 watts of panels going into a Victron 150-70.
I want to add some of my 260w panels to the system and Victron recommends 1080 watts for the 12v system.
How could I figure out how much I could over panel it going parallel?
Main system is an EG4 3000 for now.
Greg

diy solar

diy solar
Back