diy solar

diy solar

Mixed 280ah Cells

NCislander

Solar Enthusiast
Earlier this Fall, I had a self-inflicted DIY battery Blowout/Overcharge fail. Two of the cells in a 16S battery bank overcharged with mis-wiring (My Fault) and preventing the JK BMS to do its job and Stop charging. The two cells were removed from the bank, along with two other cells out of caution.
These were all EVE LF280K cells. Excellent cells in my opinion.
I replaced the (4) cells with EVE LF280K v3 cells. These have been tested close to 300ah capacity. My uneasiness had been with "mixing" the (4) v3 cells with original v2 cells make any difference?
I use JK 200a Active Balance BMS on my battery banks.
The answer, the JK BMS over a weeks' period of time Balanced all cells. They are now fitting in and playing nice with the DIY Battery bank.
Equally Charging/Discharging.

280 vs. 300 is about a 7% capacity difference. When compared to the prospect of replacing good cells with new cells and having something you can't use left over, I would choose to run it.

Your capacity will simply be the actual capacity of the lowest capacity cell.

Good to hear, I too am putting together a 16s with LF280 cells. I have a balancer I could install at this time, but Will has had bad luck with them, at least HelTec and keeping things simple is the best plan.
How much is too much?

Good to hear, I too am putting together a 16s with LF280 cells. I have a balancer I could install at this time, but Will has had bad luck with them, at least HelTec and keeping things simple is the best plan.
How much is too much?

I don't have the reference handy, but there is a mil spec for lithium battery spec used in army communication equipment.... that spec says all cells must be within 10% on capacity. That's my mental go-to.

Back