diy solar

diy solar

Mixing CHINS and GoPower! 100Ah batteries

weirded

Our RV came with a single 100Ah GoPower branded LiFePO4 battery and I’d like to add a second 100Ah battery. Based on Will’s recent review, the CHINS battery seems very appealing. The specs are very similar between the two batteries. Am I making a big mistake mixing two brands and different BMS-es? Is the mistake big enough to justify spending $500 more for a GoPower branded battery (or maybe a second CHINS and sell the GoPower?)

I'm assuming that these are going to be parallel? If that is the case, there is no reason for concern that I can think of.
It is generally recommended that either of the batteries by itself would be able to handle the load in case one trips.

Also make sure you have the wiring balanced in such a way that the current will be split evenly .... regardless of brand used.

One example of balanced wiring below.

ParallelWiring.png

I'm assuming that these are going to be parallel? If that is the case, there is no reason for concern that I can think of.
It is generally recommended that either of the batteries by itself would be able to handle the load in case one trips.

Also make sure you have the wiring balanced in such a way that the current will be split evenly .... regardless of brand used.

One example of balanced wiring below.

View attachment 55364
Yeah parallel. The RV is pre-wired from the factory for a 2nd battery, I’m assuming it’s balanced but can’t really verify since the the two compartments for batteries are on opposite sides of the RV.

Yeah parallel. The RV is pre-wired from the factory for a 2nd battery, I’m assuming it’s balanced but can’t really verify since the the two compartments for batteries are on opposite sides of the RV.
Well .... That doesn't sound ideal to have that much distance between them, but you gotta work with what you got.

Well .... That doesn't sound ideal to have that much distance between them, but you gotta work with what you got.
It’s lateral, so I think the cables are probably 3-4 feet long. Both driver and passenger side have a battery tray as seen in this photo:

89ECD06F-D06F-41F9-BCF6-1D5806D8268E.jpeg

Our RV came with a single 100Ah GoPower branded LiFePO4 battery and I’d like to add a second 100Ah battery. Based on Will’s recent review, the CHINS battery seems very appealing. The specs are very similar between the two batteries. Am I making a big mistake mixing two brands and different BMS-es? Is the mistake big enough to justify spending $500 more for a GoPower branded battery (or maybe a second CHINS and sell the GoPower?)
Generally speaking, it is best not to use batteries of different brands together. Because different brands of batteries have different resistances, BMSs, and batteries, etc. If they are used together, they will be incompatible, which will damage the service life of the battery. Therefore, when connecting batteries in series or in parallel, it is recommended that you use batteries of the same brand and preferably purchased within 6 months.

I am also trying to get a conclusive answer on using two different sized battery banks.. I see that Will does it and it appears without issue. I have the opportunity to get a 370AH pack to add to a nine month old 480ah pack. The 480 is a unbranded pack while the 370AH would be a fortress evault.

The inverter is a SOLARK 12k.

Really seeking guidance in getting it sorted and possible disadvantages.

Back