diy solar

diy solar

Mixing Multiplus-II with a UPS-capable inverter

ampsterdance

I have a grid-tied system of three Victron Multiplus-II 48/3000 in three-phase configuration with some batteries and some PV. It's set up with ESS and I'm free to export to grid. All loads are behind the Victron system.
Now I'm looking to add a three-phase hybrid PV inverter with a high-voltage battery (400v, call this "HV-inverter"). To be able to participate in virtual power plant type schemes where one lends your battery and inverter power to the grid for compensation, I don't want to put this second inverter on the "inside" of the Victron system, but rather on the grid side so that I'm not constrained by the pass-through capacity of the Multis. Aiming at 10-20 kW.
I'm looking at Solax, Growatt and Sungrow, and see some models now have built in transfer switches to allow 20ms switchover to islanding/micro-grid/off-grid during a loss of grid power. Let's call it UPS capability. Which is just why I bought the Victron system.
Now I have to think there's opportunity for issues and I'm trying to understand if this setup would work or not.

If I put these in parallell, both victron-system and HV-inverter connected to grid and to the house main panel, I've understood from some threads here that there's nothing to help the different inverters sync their AC output when the grid goes down, so wiring in parallel doesn't seem like an option.

But what about wiring them in series? So it would be House -- Victron -- HV-inverter -- Grid.
Now in a grid-down situation, I imagine that the Victron system could sync to the HV-inverter output and perhaps never even sense the loss of mains.
Could this work?

Back