diy solar

diy solar

Motorhome Solar system from scratch

Rdooley79

What would you get if building a 400-800w system from scratch?

I need everything, Post links if you've got them to the components you'd use to build up a system.

My 30ft motorhome has a lot of room space for panels. Start off with four and maybe add four more. Maybe have a couple portable panels that can be set outside.

Looking at the 400W system Will Prowse has laid out but are there better components now than when this was written?

Will's reccomendation:

Id like to be able to run a decent PC and LED monitor as well as the fridge (Norcold LP/110v) with some juice to spare for LED lights and charging cell phones and tablets.

AC would be awesome from solar but the battery and panels would be a lot.

I'll be using the coach year around and will be in hot and cold climates.

What would be your system of choice if buying today?

Thanks
R

First thing always is do an energy audit How much power do I need.

My desktop pc an monitor use about 1Kw of energy a day
After that are lights and whatever else you wish to run in the RV
AC may not be out of the question if you can run it during daylight (when solar panels have full capacity)

How many days will you need to run without any solar power?

Start here and we can help

You say from scratch, but does the MH not have a stock DC system already?

Do you want to replace it's storage, or keep it and charge it from your added array?

Almost everything in my MH is 12vdc, since it has four relatively new batteries I'm gonna keep them.

Where will you be most of the time? 400w will be marginal with that fridge. And if youre going to be in the east you should have a backup charge source.

What size is your battery compartment? And where is it located?

-Id start with 4 150-200w panels depending on space between vents/ac/etc on roof. 26" vs 31" wide panels. If 26" stay closer to 150w. I use newpowa panels off amazon with good luck.

-Charge controller 60a epever.
-wiring 20ft mc4 for roof to controller.
-10ft each 4awg welding wire red and black
-copper lug kit with hammer crimp
-two 60a breakers for controller to battery and panels to controller

Where will you be most of the time? 400w will be marginal with that fridge. And if youre going to be in the east you should have a backup charge source.

What size is your battery compartment? And where is it located?

-Id start with 4 150-200w panels depending on space between vents/ac/etc on roof. 26" vs 31" wide panels. If 26" stay closer to 150w. I use newpowa panels off amazon with good luck.

-Charge controller 60a epever.
-wiring 20ft mc4 for roof to controller.
-10ft each 4awg welding wire red and black
-copper lug kit with hammer crimp
-two 60a breakers for controller to battery and panels to controller

Sounds like I need to get an 800-1000w system is what youre saying. how much battery? What kind of batteries?

It's a 2008 Class A Holiday Rambler 30sfs that has a pretty big battery compartment. It's in the basement middle of the way back and below the slide. The coach has a DC system built in and a crappy inverter for the two big led acid batteries.
The roof is a single piece fiberglass and has a few vents and a single AC unit.

I'm sure that the coach batteries are close to being done. The previous owner let them completely discharge and sit for a little while. Theyre stamped 2017 and take a charge but dont seem to really hold well from the little I've used them so far. Pretty sure the batteries are kicked.

I'd like to use the existing wiring and will need new batteries, panels on the roof, charge controller, sine inverter. It'd be really cool to be able to charge the batteries when driving from the alternator. However I dont want to kill my alternator and am not set on the idea if it's a bad idea.

Sounds like I need to get an 800-1000w system is what youre saying. how much battery? What kind of batteries?

It's a 2008 Class A Holiday Rambler 30sfs // It'd be really cool to be able to charge the batteries when driving from the alternator.

get as many panels as you can afford and fit.

are you sure your MH doesn't already charge its batteries from the alternator? my rig is ten years older and does.

Other than getting all the panels you can fit it depends wildly where and what ypure doing. Arizona os a whole different thing than washington.

Here is my system....I've been working out of my travel trailer for a couple years. Although recently retired
I have 420w solar into a Bogart CC and Bogart monitor to two group31 100AH AGM batteries wired 12V.

I run a laptop running on 12V car converter and a 12V Tv/Monitor for 6-8 hours a day.
I run a small printer off the inverter and make a dozen or so copies/shipping labels a day
Watch TV on a 12V Tv for 5-6 hours a night.
Run a RoKu device and a HotSpot for streaming video. Both on USB chargers constantly
WeBoost cellular booster on just about always
Make a couple cups of coffee on a 750W kurig throughout the day
Toast in the AM with a 750W toaster
AC electrical devices running off a 1000w PSE inverter
LED lights throughout the camper

Refrigerator runs on propane
For heat I use a catalytic heater as the furnace uses way too much electricity running the blower

I run EVERYTHING off batteries. Only use the generator (Honda 2000) for AirConditioning and wifes blowdryer when she travels with me.

In five years have only plugged in at a RV park or campground 10-12 times. Boondocking 99% of the time

This system was installed in 5 years ago and is still going great on the original batteries.

With the use listed above, the batteries have never been below 60%.

Solar Install for Trailer Office

Hope this is helpful to you.

diy solar

diy solar
Back