diy solar

diy solar

Newb Newb....Getting some use out of the DC "load + -" connection points during the day.

cyberfed

Ok so my setup currently is 2x 100watt 12V panels. I build portable 24V battery packs for use around the house to power small things. Meaning there is never batteries attached to my solar charge controller when I am not actively charging something.

I got to thinking about the LOAD + = ports. I know they are meant for small loads DC only. I would like to take advantage the panels which on most days are not connected to a battery pack. Rather than the panels go unused I wanted to see about the LOAD connection.

#1 Can you use the LOAD connection with only the solar panels and no batteries attached?
#2 What does it exactly output on the LOAD connections, would it be 24V in my case? What about amp's, does it dump all the amps that the panels produce (just shy of 6A)? Or will it provide amperage as needed per the DC device in question?
#3 If a battery is NEEDED to allow use of the LOAD connections during the day, can I just get a 24V battery and let the controller charge it until its full, and then the LOAD can be used (at "full" capacity since the battery is full? Or will the LOAD pull power from the battery in combination from the panels?

I'm not interested in the battery in this case, just the LOAD and how much (or little) I can get out of it. I would like to use it to power some DC grow lights for some indoor plants right near the backyard. The manuals for the controller don't do a great deal of discussion on the LOAD connections.

All that said, is it possible and if so, what's the best and safest way to get some use out of the panels with no power coming from the battery?

Thanks!

Which charge controller? They don't all work the same way.

I have a Victron 100/20 with a load output. The load output is battery voltage (so it needs a battery) and the amp rating is the same as the charge rating, so 20 amps max.

Back