diy solar

diy solar

Newbie question

IowaGuy1

Hello there everyone! I'm a newbie to the solar power community. So the knowledge that I have in solar panels is lacking. I ask that you please be patient and understanding if my questions are stupid.

I am looking to purchase a solar panel that I can put in my vehicle to help power a dashcam and maybe a radar detector. Below is a link to the solar panel that I am currently looking at purchasing:

I would like to place this solar panel in the front or rear of my vehicles window to help generate some electricity that can than be stored 'somewhere' that can then be used the next time I'm in my vehicle, without having to hardwire the dashcam to my vehicle's fuse box ports OR without having to depend on using my vehicles cigarette lighter port OR USB ports.

My problem is this:
I do not understand the next step! How would I be able to store the energy that's generated from the solar panel to be used at a later time? Is there a 'energy storage device' that I'll need to purchase separately that will allow me to store the energy that is generated from the solar panel that I can then use to run the dashcam and OR radar detector from later on? The storage device would obviously have to be relatively small to fit in my vehicle. I hope I am making some sense... lol.

The only thing that I can think of that might be possible to store the power is by connecting the solar panel to a power bank to store the power but I'm not sure if that's the correct way to do it or if that would even work?

Can somebody please explain to me what the name of that device would be that I'll need to get? And what other options would be for me to achieve this?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. And I thank anyone willing to help me out in advance! ?

It's easy to put a fuse tap in a fuse location and get 12v and 12v switched from ignition. Or you go solar panel and connect to a pre made battery system or build a battery set up and put a controller on it to safely monitor. But I would connect to car . I have a goal zero and always have to turn it on and off ?

Hello there everyone! I'm a newbie to the solar power community. So the knowledge that I have in solar panels is lacking. I ask that you please be patient and understanding if my questions are stupid.

I am looking to purchase a solar panel that I can put in my vehicle to help power a dashcam and maybe a radar detector. Below is a link to the solar panel that I am currently looking at purchasing:

I would like to place this solar panel in the front or rear of my vehicles window to help generate some electricity that can than be stored 'somewhere' that can then be used the next time I'm in my vehicle, without having to hardwire the dashcam to my vehicle's fuse box ports OR without having to depend on using my vehicles cigarette lighter port OR USB ports.

My problem is this:
I do not understand the next step! How would I be able to store the energy that's generated from the solar panel to be used at a later time? Is there a 'energy storage device' that I'll need to purchase separately that will allow me to store the energy that is generated from the solar panel that I can then use to run the dashcam and OR radar detector from later on? The storage device would obviously have to be relatively small to fit in my vehicle. I hope I am making some sense... lol.

The only thing that I can think of that might be possible to store the power is by connecting the solar panel to a power bank to store the power but I'm not sure if that's the correct way to do it or if that would even work?

Can somebody please explain to me what the name of that device would be that I'll need to get? And what other options would be for me to achieve this?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. And I thank anyone willing to help me out in advance! ?

Well, 14W seems like enough, but I would test what the dash cam draws.

However, INSIDE the vehicle, it will be SEVERELY limited power, because the glass filters several frequencies of light...

You need to get a battery bank big enough to handle the dash cam wattage. Diy would be cheaper than a powerbank...

I myself am looking fo a life po4 design with 12 volt output and 5 v 2 amp plug in ports. Also with solar input. Looking for plans. I think most dash cams use 5 v 2 amps or equivalent. I want to make a box I can put under the seat.

I myself am looking fo a life po4 design with 12 volt output and 5 v 2 amp plug in ports. Also with solar input. Looking for plans. I think most dash cams use 5 v 2 amps or equivalent. I want to make a box I can put under the seat.
That’s around 360Wh of daily storage needed. Shouldn’t be too difficult to put together a box for that

diy solar

diy solar
Back