diy solar

diy solar

Noticed a panel liquidation on Fayetteville, AR Craig's List.

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
https://fayar.craigslist.org/mat/d/farmington-solar-panels-140-kw-usa-made/7551246164.html
Large quantity available. Panels dimensions are approximately 26.5" x 64". We will provide mounting hardware for attaching the panels to a rail. PRICE IS $50 for UNWASHED and $60 each if WASHED by us. 25 PANEL minimum.

If it had less than 25 panel minimum I probably would be contacting them for some myself. But it is not a bad deal for almost new (6-8 years old) commercial panels. They seem to be 145w with a Voc of 79.6v

I saw that the other day. I'm just 45 minutes north of there. Intriguing

Frameless and high voltage so I'm assuming thin film. From what I've seen in the past they are fragile so I fear most of them are already damaged or have a very short useable life remaining. Not the easiest modules to use in DIY or pretty much any residential application. You'd quickly be up to the max Voc of your inverter or SCC before you had many watts so good price might be offset by the extra wiring, racking and fused combiner boxes.

Last edited:
They do mention that they are tested undamaged and are giving a 6 month warranty. I am not endorsing them I just thought it might be a deal for someone.
1668274241852.png

Last edited:
They look interesting. Mounting them looks to be a nightmare. The array in the picture shows some flanges but they seem to extend onto the cell area by a small amount. What I’ve learned is just a few small leaves on each ends of a half cell panel makes a huge reduction of power. I’d assume that it’s the same for this. I kinda wonder if they ever achieved full potential in this site? The OCV is different but usable I don’t see a problem with 3 S for 250 V MPP or 7S for a 600 V MPP.
If I were to consider them, I’d want choose them and not get some obvious visual issues like choosing lumber at Home Depot.

They do mention that they are tested undamaged and are giving a 6 month warranty. I am not endorsing them I just thought it might be a deal for someone.
View attachment 119970
I wonder what sort of inverter they were feeding? 1500V I'm guessing so 17 or so in a string. Made in America as well.

Mounting them looks to be a nightmare.
That's always the problem with thin film. Mounting is very specific to the factory supplied hardware.

3 S for 250 V MPP or 7S for a 600 V MPP.
It may not be a problem but still you wouldn't many have many watts without paralleling strings ad nauseum.

For comparison, I just picked up new 535 watt Bifacial modules locally for 43 cents per watt. 6 modules got me 3.2 kW in one string with a very usable Voc of ~300v.

Last edited:
I wonder what sort of inverter they were feeding? 1500V I'm guessing so 17 or so in a string. Made in America as well.
Actually I think these have a system voltage max of 1000 volts
It hard to justify building a customized structure for questionable panels when you can get 535 watt panels that will work.

I think these panels have previously been on ebay. Same panels, same description, and same reason for selling. If these are the same panels, I contacterd the seller and they said they could include mounting brackets.

I think these panels have previously been on ebay. Same panels, same description, and same reason for selling. If these are the same panels, I contacterd the seller and they said they could include mounting brackets.
Seems like they'd be trying to sell the racking as well. The above ground parts would be easily reusable.

Back