diy solar

diy solar

Off-the-Shelf CPap solar/power source?

Natty

Hi,

Thank you to anyone who provides help

I am going to be staying a couple nights with some Amish friends, and need a recommendation for an off-the-shelf portable solar power station for my CPap. Bluetti? Jackery?

I am a total novice here, but think Lithium Ion might be a good idea (?)​

Ok to buy them on Ebay?​
Adapter to run the CPap directly from the 12v power.... I assume?​

I hope to also use this at my off grid cabin for, CPap , and phone & battery charging.

Here is my CPap info:

IMG_4568.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

I searched to see if anyone had asked this exact question ,and had no luck. I am sorry if this is an old topic.

The switch to 24V CPAP sure made things harder, you either need a 24V battery or a 12V battery and a voltage booster.
Start by measuring the real power used by your machine, I doubt it’s 90W or you’d need 720WH per night.
If it’s going to be more than just the CPAP (there’s always feature creep) then a ‘portable solar power station’ will work, though they are pretty expensive they are also plug-n-play.

OK to buy anything on eBay is a personal preference. 🤷‍♂️ I try to avoid them, but then I buy stuff from AliExpress. 😁

Last edited:
How many days do you want to run it without recharging? I assume for a visit popping up a panel is out of the question. The need will be for about 130WH a night.

Which type machine do you have?

Assuming it is a resmed device they use around 260Wh per 10 your period with the heated tube and humidifier on. If you turn that off they use 70Wh per 10 hours.

The actual power required can be between 2 and 8 amps.

Check this thread for information

The guy I crew for road racing runs one off of an Ecoflow (I believe) with a folding panel to charge it during the day. He also uses it to charge the battery in the race car and run the high pressure air compressor (air shifter) and usually makes it through a weekend without running out of juice.

It sounds like you don't need too much in the way of power and it might be a bit rude rolling a 100lb cooler size battery bank into your Amish friend's house.

That said I've been looking at and linking this Jackery3000 at costco for a week now. Just big enough to qualify for 30% tax credit. Even $1,400(after credit) is way more than I would want to spend just for a visit, but it might be more along the line of what you'd want for a cabin.

There's also your traditional costco 2 pack, the sizing (288Wh & 1,264Wh) might fit your needs better, but i cant really see the appeal of $1,200 for a 2-pack of solar generators. Maybe you'd be able to keep one and sell the other?

You could be way over thinking this and certainly everyone here is very happy to spend your money. Amazon has a little 12V converter for the Resmed. I have one and it is very efficient and under $30. Or I just got a 12V 150W inverter with no fan that is nice for sleeping and use the existing power pack. Think it is like $12. I have a Ampretime 50AH battery that the manual says just connect a 100W panel to directly, no charge controller. BMS will take care of everything. Then a 30 to 100W panel for less than $50. Not too hard to drag out that battery outside everyday. Don't have anything else connected when charging.

Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Portable-Solar-Ready-Generator-Emergency/dp/B07SM5HBK1 plus a 100w folding solar panel or 2 x 100w folding panels.

Or this - the jackery folding 100w panel costs $200 but comes with their proprietary plug.

A 200w folding solar panel can be had for $150~$200.

Figuring the math you can set the single panel out and recharge your use per night in about 4 hours. With two panels that is 2 hours.

I would not buy the jackery panels they are uber expensive, instead a 1lb Victron 100/20 would be all you would need to plug into the DC port. Make sure to get the 12v/24v/48v if you want to use it in future on a home or with a bigger battery.

Way cheaper than a big one, easier to carry or pack or ship and would still power you for 5 nights without tube or humidifier heat. Or 2 nights with both then charge from the sun.

diy solar

diy solar
Back