diy solar

diy solar

Paralleling Generators?

invento123

This may be a stupid question but is it possible to connect 2 solar generators in parallel like you would with 2 gas generators?

Specifically I have 2 Goal Zero Yeti 1250 Generators that I would like to connect together so I can use the "combined" output of them.
The inverters have a 1250watt continous and 1500watt max rating so when running a heater that pulls 1100watts continous, turning on any other accessory like my soldering iron trips the inverter and shuts it all off.

You can "chain" batteries in parallel to the Yeti through its rear battery connection port of which I do with the second Yeti 1250, but this doesn't solve the limitation of the inverters output.

This may be a stupid question but is it possible to connect 2 solar generators in parallel like you would with 2 gas generators?

Specifically I have 2 Goal Zero Yeti 1250 Generators that I would like to connect together so I can use the "combined" output of them.
The inverters have a 1250watt continous and 1500watt max rating so when running a heater that pulls 1100watts continous, turning on any other accessory like my soldering iron trips the inverter and shuts it all off.

You can "chain" batteries in parallel to the Yeti through its rear battery connection port of which I do with the second Yeti 1250, but this doesn't solve the limitation of the inverters output.
Check the documentation for your solar generator, and unless it specifically says that you can do this, don't do it. The problem is syncing the AC sine waves and keeping them in sync, which usually requires some sort of communication.

Some of these kinds of units can support parallel stacking, but unfortunately it looks like your model does not support parallel stacking. Or at least I didn't find any mention of a parallel kit or capability on the product page when searching for it.

And there's even some cases where you interconnect 2 x 120v units to get 240v/120v US split-phase. As said above, it's all product dependent.

Yeah a neighbor of mine here on our co-op is currently powering his lot with 2 Ecoflow Delta Pros (with the double-voltage hub), to run his 240v well pump and power his RV 120v stuff, but it is designed to do this of course.

ah ok makes sense. The Yeti's dont have any of that functionality built in so I guess thats a no go but thanks for the advice!

Back