diy solar

diy solar

Pole mount on steel pipe - Do I need a ground?

You shouldn't, but technically I believe you do need to run a ground wire back to the main ground system. You do not need a separate ground rod though. Does it add any value? Not really, especially if you don't put any AC power out there.

Personally I would just bond everything together and be done with it. Are you putting any kind of disconnect at the pole?

earthing and grounding are two separate things

panel and racking ground needs to go back with the feed lines to the system for GFP. you can't detect a ground-fault if the racking and panels aren't grounded to the detection device.

do NOT run a separate "earthing" rod for your mount. all of the earthing and grounding should be bonded together and connect back to a common earthing rod with the components and (assuming residential) the main panel.

I have always thrown some bare copper wire in the hole when pouring the concrete, run up along the pole, then bonded to the J box/combiner box. Can't hurt, inspectors seemed to like it.

I have always thrown some bare copper wire in the hole when pouring the concrete, run up along the pole, then bonded to the J box/combiner box. Can't hurt, inspectors seemed to like it.
Unfortunately, inspector approval and good design aren't always the same thing. The topic is a bit complex, and I probably don't have the expertise to do it justice. But my belief is that you shouldn't casually create additional grounds in an electrical system, and running a copper wire into the ground at the panel mount may be a bad idea. I'd consult with an electrician who has expertise with solar systems before I did that.

I believe inspectors like it because they lack advanced knowledge. "Grounding" to most seems like a protection piece -- inspectors where I live are "general" at best. Book say it should be white wire, it better be white because black carries a different load.

Back