diy solar

diy solar

Post Your Passive Solar Projects Please!

Solarcabin Channel

Solar Addict
Along with using solar electricity I designed and built many passive solar projects for off grid living over the years and some of you probably have as well.

So post those and share your ideas or concepts and drawing please.

Pictures of a few of my passive solar projects I have built and still use:

Japanese soaking tub
Heated inside a greenhouse and by a 50 foot roll of black sprinkler pipe. I used a cattle trough for the tub and some pool accessories.

Solar Composting Toilet
Empty the commode bucket in to that once a week and sunshine evaporates off the moisture so no drain field needed.

Solarium porch
I wrap my front porch in plastic every winter to create a solarium. My propane tanks and genny are in there and stay warm and dry. Also used t hang my clothes in winter, work on projects and enjoy sunshine out f the breeze. It gets over 80 in there on a sunny winter day and blocks the cold air from entering the cabin. I can open the front door and let that heat in the cabin to reduce using a heater.

Japanese soaking tub.PNG solar composter.PNG Solarium porch.PNG

Attachments

• Solarium porch.PNG
    Solarium porch.PNG
    678.2 KB · Views: 7
My passive solar house has almost 400 sq ft of clear south facing windows that can provide almost all the space heating in winter

Designed and built our house back in '95. Well insulated (super insulated for that era) with SIP walls and extra insulation in the ceilings/floors. Lots of S facing windows with overhangs so that they don't gather sun in the summer months. I estimate that 60% of our heating comes from the solar gain, with a wood stove and then propane boiler as the next levels of backup. For our climate (8500' elevation in the Rockies) I think that is doing OK.

Back