diy solar

diy solar

powmr POW-HVM6.5K 48V has input and out as L and N instead of 2 hots?Can it be used for 230v hot tub?

Patdufo1

I bought this to work with my small hot tub(working now with 24v 6000w aims),switching to 48v lion,I was expecting 2 hots and ground but this has a L,N and a ground can I wire this for 240v only?Is the N actually the second hot or do you combine 2 120 lines into one?I think this is meant for europe but it is 50/60 Hz 230 which can be upped to 240,My expensive 2 POS xantrex freedom 4000 are supossed to work together to do this but after over a year of dealing with thier top installer whom got a pair and tried himself with no luck(they are sold as being capable of this but wont!!!!!!!!!!)

You've purchased an EU spec inverter. Suggest you return it.

Answer depends on if the motor is okay with the ground being in the wrong place. You'll need to contact the manufacturer.

cant return unfortunately,was an amazon return unopened,paid 250 are you sure it wont work one 240v hot tub?(could be bonding isues?)Also a friend said an outotransformer?I allrerady own a victron 100 amp auto transformer?

cant return unfortunately,was an amazon return unopened,paid 250 are you sure it wont work one 240v hot tub?(could be bonding isues?)Also a friend said an outotransformer?I allrerady own a victron 100 amp auto transformer?
The answer is maybe.
If the inverter bond's its neutral, with an autotransformer connected and its neutral bonded, things go boom.
If the inverters neutral is isolated and bonding can be defeated safely, an autotransformer might work.
But I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't understand completely what they are doing. (An Electrician, with many years of experience)

just picked this up,10000va (wieghs about 150lbs)Should it work?Any one know how to wire?Thanks

Attachments

• f.jpg
    f.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 13
That is a single phase transformer.
It can either turn 110v into 220v, or 220v into 110v.

No split-phase output.
Do you think that I could use it for a mini-split?At the very least I should be able to input into the transformer and output 110v?I could try the transformer and check with a mulimeter should tell me if it will work?

Do you think that I could use it for a mini-split?At the very least I should be able to input into the transformer and output 110v?I could try the transformer and check with a mulimeter should tell me if it will work?
Should be able...
But why?

120V should be easier to access...

Maybe
It depends on if it's fully isolated and can be bonded. Not sure if the mini split would work with a floating system.
But I agree that it's more trouble than it's worth.

Should be able...
But why?

120V should be easier to access...
I hate to throw money away,allready own these and they wouldnt be easy to resell,I am on a 22,000 a year pension cant afford to waist that much money,I also have allready a 12000 btu and a 24000 btu 240 minisplit to install would be great if it could work on one of them(maybee not possible but I will try my best)

Maybe
It depends on if it's fully isolated and can be bonded. Not sure if the mini split would work with a floating system.
But I agree that it's more trouble than it's worth.
I just turned on the inverter just to make sure it works,came on and said inverting 229v,but I took a multi meter to ground inside and it read 160v on the N and 89 on L?I grounded it temp to a large metal rack and not to my ground rod though,do those voltages seem odd?And thanks for the help

I just turned on the inverter just to make sure it works,came on and said inverting 229v,but I took a multi meter to ground inside and it read 160v on the N and 89 on L?
That's normal for a floating (ungrounded) system.
I grounded it temp to a large metal rack and not to my ground rod though,
Connecting to some random piece of metal isn't grounding. It doesn't do anything.
A grounding system begins at and is created by the N/G bond.
And then all exposed (touchable) conductive parts are connected to the grounding system.
If your inverter doesn't create a grounding system, you must do it externally.
But you have to make sure it doesn't become you can only bond N/G at one point.

That's normal for a floating (ungrounded) system.

Connecting to some random piece of metal isn't grounding. It doesn't do anything.
A grounding system begins at and is created by the N/G bond.
And then all exposed (touchable) conductive parts are connected to the grounding system.
If your inverter doesn't create a grounding system, you must do it externally.
But you have to make sure it doesn't become you can only bond N/G at one point.
yes I have an 8ft copper ground rod,wasnt going to run to it just to see if it worked(waisting my time if it didnt),Can I run more than one inverter using that ground rod or do I have to keep them seperate,not using grid power I have it but only to run one gang box for emergency power,and yes bonded one place,thanks

yes I have an 8ft copper ground rod,wasnt going to run to it just to see if it worked(waisting my time if it didnt),Can I run more than one inverter using that ground rod or do I have to keep them seperate,not using grid power I have it but only to run one gang box for emergency power,and yes bonded one place,thanks
There should only be one grounding system for everything.
Do not separate systems from each other. This creates potential voltage differences between the systems.
If you already have grid, you already have an existing grounding system.
Everything new should extend from it.

diy solar

diy solar
Back