diy solar

diy solar

Programmable switching for small off-grid system

novop

I've been watching videos and reading about off grid systems for a few years, and am about ready to take the plunge and build a smallish DIY system to power a few circuits with utility backup. There are a few things I'm not clear about, though, and could use some suggestions from the community. Context: I'm in the US, in Phoenix AZ.

I want to build a hybrid system that can use power from PV cells, battery, or the grid, based on a number of programmable parameters. This seems like it is more complicated or expensive than it needs to be, so I hope I'm missing something. For example, when I ask the design folks at different solar shops, they steer me toward an inverter that costs about 50% more and can only supply about half as much power (for example, Schneider Conext XW PRO 6.8kW Hybrid Inverter, which is $3495, vs a Growatt all in one 12kW that is $1800). I'd like to hear what solutions others would recommend.

Big picture, I'd like to build a system that can serve as both an emergency backup generator and shave my 'demand charge' and peak power usage.

Details:

The total load the system needs to be able to power is 8kW, including 240V (the AC) and 120V (the fridge and a set of lights).

1. During a power outage, I want to be able to power my AC and fridge/freezer at some level during the day (keep the food from going bad, keep the house below 90F). This is one of the reasons that I want an off grid solution, vs. grid tied.

2. When there is grid power, optimize my energy bill as much as possible on a relatively small battery bank (say 10 or 15 kWh). Here, we have a variable energy price based on time of day, and a demand charge that makes up about 50% of the total bill by dollar amount. The demand charge is based on the largest single hour usage between 4pm and 7pm during a billing period. This means I'm looking for the capability to program, for example, the following pattern:
* Prioritize charging the battery bank from PV panels so that they're fully charged at 4pm, without exceeding some C rate that I set.
* Use any excess power from the PV panels to power loads until 4pm
* from 4pm on, prioritize running the loads from PV panels, followed by battery bank (ideally, switching to grid at a different SOC for each hour, though I can imagine I might need to build some sort of Raspberry Pi DIY solution for this level of control )
* at any point when neither battery or PV can provide enough power for the loads, switch over to grid power

Is there a solution that does this without breaking the bank on a very fancy inverter? I'm open to suggestions that I change my approach entirely, other than deciding to sell power back to the utility. That seems unreliable in our current political environment, as utilities keep changing the deal and I'm not going to make a major financial decision based on parameters that are likely to change.

Demand charge characteristics are also likely to change, but in any circumstance, the ability to program switching should allow me to adjust.

What you wish to accomplish is basically Peak Load Shaving. The difference between the higher priced, full featured inverters and the budget models is:
1) UL1741SA compliant inverters are grid interactive and do have the ability to limit grid consumption and fully or partially power household loads based on the time of day. They can do so almost seamlessly by blending utility with inverter power. Less expensive inverters also peak load shave but they do it by switching over completely to an off-grid mode and the available power is limited by the inverter output.
2) For starting inductive loads like AC condensers, a low frequency inverter is generally better vs. the budget, high frequency, transformerless type.

The other important issue is if you wish to back up the whole house main panel or are willing to install a critical loads subpanel. For whole house back up the Sol-Ark 15K model is a good choice because it has a 200A transfer relay built in.

Lastly, the AC condenser should have a soft starter installed to limit the inrush current. This helps tremendously when powering an AC with an inverter.

Thanks for the input. I'm only trying to power two circuits. It certainly doesn't need 200A. My original thought was feeding a two circuit subpanel with the inverter. One circuit powers the fridge only. One circuit powers the AC only. I expected there would be some reasonable solution to open and close circuits based on a variety of inputs the system is already measuring. As far as I understand, there are no critical electronic components that would be damaged in a dumb fridge and a dumb ac, so there is no need to switch 'seamlessly'. It just needs to know when a predetermined event happens (say voltage in the line has dropped), and switch from one source to another source. It sounds like this is not a typical system.

My solution is to have a grid powered battery charger which is triggered by the low voltage disconnect of an mppt via a relay. Its relatively cheap and simple to set up.

My solution is to have a grid powered battery charger which is triggered by the low voltage disconnect of an mppt via a relay. Its relatively cheap and simple to set up.

Great solution! Sounds like it simplifies it a great deal. Can you point me to any documentation or other description that walks through this in more detail?

Not really, you'd have to check the manual of your charge controller for setting low voltage disconnect/reconnect values. The rest is fairly self explanatory.

I can draw up something later when I'm on my computer

Last edited:
No need to draw something up, though I appreciate it. Maybe this should be a separate thread, but the question in my mind would be how to tune the C rate to keep up with the load, and if there are any important changes in how power is delivered from the battery to the inverter while the battery charges from AC input (vs the PV array).

Thanks for the input. I'm only trying to power two circuits. It certainly doesn't need 200A. My original thought was feeding a two circuit subpanel with the inverter. One circuit powers the fridge only. One circuit powers the AC only. I expected there would be some reasonable solution to open and close circuits based on a variety of inputs the system is already measuring. As far as I understand, there are no critical electronic components that would be damaged in a dumb fridge and a dumb ac, so there is no need to switch 'seamlessly'. It just needs to know when a predetermined event happens (say voltage in the line has dropped), and switch from one source to another source. It sounds like this is not a typical system.
Why don't you use an automatic transfer switch? There is a popular model from MOES that monitors battery voltage and executes switching based on your voltage limits. Will made a video about it.

I've been watching videos and reading about off grid systems for a few years, and am about ready to take the plunge and build a smallish DIY system to power a few circuits with utility backup. There are a few things I'm not clear about, though, and could use some suggestions from the community. Context: I'm in the US, in Phoenix AZ.

I want to build a hybrid system that can use power from PV cells, battery, or the grid, based on a number of programmable parameters. This seems like it is more complicated or expensive than it needs to be, so I hope I'm missing something. For example, when I ask the design folks at different solar shops, they steer me toward an inverter that costs about 50% more and can only supply about half as much power (for example, Schneider Conext XW PRO 6.8kW Hybrid Inverter, which is $3495, vs a Growatt all in one 12kW that is $1800). I'd like to hear what solutions others would recommend.

Big picture, I'd like to build a system that can serve as both an emergency backup generator and shave my 'demand charge' and peak power usage.

Details:

The total load the system needs to be able to power is 8kW, including 240V (the AC) and 120V (the fridge and a set of lights).

1. During a power outage, I want to be able to power my AC and fridge/freezer at some level during the day (keep the food from going bad, keep the house below 90F). This is one of the reasons that I want an off grid solution, vs. grid tied.

2. When there is grid power, optimize my energy bill as much as possible on a relatively small battery bank (say 10 or 15 kWh). Here, we have a variable energy price based on time of day, and a demand charge that makes up about 50% of the total bill by dollar amount. The demand charge is based on the largest single hour usage between 4pm and 7pm during a billing period. This means I'm looking for the capability to program, for example, the following pattern:
* Prioritize charging the battery bank from PV panels so that they're fully charged at 4pm, without exceeding some C rate that I set.
* Use any excess power from the PV panels to power loads until 4pm
* from 4pm on, prioritize running the loads from PV panels, followed by battery bank (ideally, switching to grid at a different SOC for each hour, though I can imagine I might need to build some sort of Raspberry Pi DIY solution for this level of control )
* at any point when neither battery or PV can provide enough power for the loads, switch over to grid power

Is there a solution that does this without breaking the bank on a very fancy inverter? I'm open to suggestions that I change my approach entirely, other than deciding to sell power back to the utility. That seems unreliable in our current political environment, as utilities keep changing the deal and I'm not going to make a major financial decision based on parameters that are likely to change.

Demand charge characteristics are also likely to change, but in any circumstance, the ability to program switching should allow me to adjust.
What you're looking for is called a HYBRID inverter - it works as grid tie AND backup. Atlas, Sol-Ark, Growatt, and MANY others can do this. The important thing to look for is LiFePO4 batteries that have been tested and work with the CANBUS comms of the inverter. This creates the ultimate SAFE system that manages the batteries properly for long life and safe operation. Also if you ask the vendor if his inverter is UL9540 certified with the batteries of your choice, you will have the SAFEST POSSIBLE SYSTEM.

Back