diy solar

diy solar

Re-casing batteries

Wrenching Miles

Hello all,

I invested in 12v 100ah LiFePO4 batteries and have six of them to create a 24v 300 ah battery bank. However, in my RV application, I have limited space to store these batteries. I was thinking about removing them from their cases and rehousing them in a more condensed fashion. Has anyone had experience with doing this?
Ideally, I would have made my own battery from 300 ah or more EVE or CATL cells, but this was out of my realm at the time. If anyone has condensed manufactured batteries, how did you do it and what was your success?

Thank you!

Most off the shelf batteries have welded bus bars which is going to make things really difficult. You might want to look up reviews of your make and model to see if they're even capable of splitting the cells up.

Is the goal to combine the dead space in each battery, and pack the guts closer together to fit the space, or are you looking to re-wire 8S BMS in?

A challenging project, but it might be reasonable to bust them up, throw away the generic bms in them, and reconfigure with Overkill or similar high-quality bms's. If it's just your time, and a new bms or three, perhaps cost-justified as well.

All of my purchased batteries have no-comm bms's in them. Some have high-amp output bms, so good in that respect.

Agree with looking at tear-down vid's of your existing batteries first ...

Back