diy solar

diy solar

Re-routing wiring from the trailer tongue to mid trailer.

Raptor31

Hi All, I am in the process of installing Lithium batteries and other componentry in my trailer. ie Inverter, charge controller, battery monitor and solar panels etc. The new battery bank will be installed near my breaker panel and other controls. I feel fairly comfortable with everything that I will be installing. That comfort is due in part to my small knowledge of electricity and a massive amount of how to videos available on You Tube! What I am lacking is any information on how to re-route the existing wires at the battery box on the tongue of my trailer. The other question I have is what I need to do to get my generator (Onan4000) started. From what I have read, the Lithium batteries are not recommended to start the generator. I figured that I could put a lead acid battery in the existing battery box and use that to start the generator. The other issue that is then created is how to recharge the SLA battery. I haven't found any information on if my new charge controller can charge both Lithium and a SLA battery. If anyone has any information on my dilemma or can point me in the direction where I might find an answer, I would welcome any advice or input!

Last edited:
If you search for LFP motorcycle batteries you'll find quite a few options with high cranking amps that would work for the generator just fine and play well with your other battery banks.

Assuming you have the factory converter/charger combined with your breaker panel, your battery cables terminate at the converter/charger. You shouldn't have to move anything from the tongue. Just leave any connections for things like a power tongue jack and slides connected to the battery cables at the tongue.

Last edited:
It isn't to difficult, the only wires you really need to mess with are the positive and negative to the battery.
Disconnect those and do what you need to do. I left my ground connected to add another ground point as well as creating a new ground point from the new battery itself.
I disconnected the positive completely, inside the trailer. find the positive wire from the old location going to your power center.
It should be wired to a lug on the power center - disconnect that.
I installed a bus bar and connected the old "positive battery wire" to the bus bar so power will still flow to trailer brakes and other items needing power (power tongue jack if you have one)
The new battery positive connects to the bus bar as well and I connect a wire from bus bar to a disconnect and than to power center.

What voltage will the new system be?
Will you have a dc2dc charger between the tow vehicle battery and the house system?

Back