diy solar

diy solar

Regulated 12 Volt Outlet

Rabbit

Is there a plug-and-play product out there that would allow me to connect a standard (cigarette-lighter) 12-volt _regulated_ power outlet to a 12-volt LiFePO4 battery? Or even better, a single plug-and-play product that would allow me to connect several such outlets? I've successfully built working "solar generators" with unregulated outlets, so have acquired some limited skills. But creating electronics from components is way over my head. I need an easy solution, but haven't been able to find one.

Thanks!

8-40V input, 12V output

8-40V input, 12V output
My 12V 100Ah LFP battery is pretty much empty when it hits 12V
Most of the capacity is over 13V
I do take it down to 11.xV or maybe 10.5V on my 12V fridge occasionally but there is very little run time under 12V.
So why do you need a regulated 12V outlet?

My 12V 100Ah LFP battery is pretty much empty when it hits 12V
Most of the capacity is over 13V
I do take it down to 11.xV or maybe 10.5V on my 12V fridge occasionally but there is very little run time under 12V.
So why do you need a regulated 12V outlet?
Maybe I don't, and should rethink this. Mostly, to be honest, I was planning on going with regulated outlets because Mr. Prowse appears to consider them so important a feature on commercial solar generators; its not something I thought through logically on my own. I admit that so far I've not had any actual trouble with unregulated outlets. But I've only had them on large LiFePO4 systems that are rarely significantly discharged. And so far those few times when they have been heavily discharged, it's been an inverter that's done it and I've never been under 12.9. This setup will be much smaller, and I expect to cycle it deeper. But still...

You know, you may've talked me out of regulated power outlets. Though, this will be more a "fun" and "learning" project than something that's going to see constant practical use, so maybe a few unnecessary doo-dads are still in order. We'll see, and thanks for pointing this out!

Most of the solar generators that have regulated 12V outlets are NMC and not LFP.
Also they are regulated at over 13V to 13.6V?

Most of the solar generators that have regulated 12V outlets are NMC and not LFP.
Also they are regulated at over 13V to 13.6V?
Perhaps they are. But the specific gear I intend to use was made for automotive 12-volt lead-acid systems, and (hooked to lead-acid and before I knew any better) I've used it successfully with nearly-dead cells at probably well under 12 volts. So, I'll be fine non-regulated. Thanks! You saved me some money.

diy solar

diy solar
Back