diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Ebay fraud?

Dustoff

Apparently, Renogy put up a Black Friday flash sale, which they reneged on. It looks like it offered $200 off any order. (Disgruntled employee? Chinese shenanigans? Coupon entry error?)

The odd thing about it is that they selected “buyer cancelled order” on all these orders.

Their store “Renogy-US” has about 1k new negative reviews, mentioning fraud, etc. “Seller cancelled order on me”

Looks like renogy screwed up and tried to mislead eBay to avoid forking out, over a mistake.

I snagged some screenshots from another forum.

Attachments

• IMG_3304.jpeg
    IMG_3304.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3309.jpeg
    IMG_3309.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3303.jpeg
    IMG_3303.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3294.jpeg
    IMG_3294.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3301.jpeg
    IMG_3301.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 18
I don't know what the original offer was, but mistakes happen. IMO it's not reasonable to expect "$200 off any order" to be valid if the item is under $200 to begin with.

Looking at some of the feedback, there are multiple negatives from the same buyers, which appears to look like they tried to order a large quantity of items (many of the items less than $200) and now are pissed off.

Bottom line - if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

I don't know what the original offer was, but mistakes happen. IMO it's not reasonable to expect "$200 off any order" to be valid if the item is under $200 to begin with.

Looking at some of the feedback, there are multiple negatives from the same buyers, which appears to look like they tried to order a large quantity of items (many of the items less than $200) and now are pissed off.

Bottom line - if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
Yeah, idk. It’s strange.

The “seller canceled on me” comments. I have to wonder how renogy skated by on that (or maybe that’s why that eBay store is shutdown). I think there are pretty specific rules on when a seller can cancel.

I have to wonder how renogy would make such a mistake…then again, what would be the motive to do it intentionally? A quick cash grab to ramp up Black Friday inventory? Dunno. I’m curious to see how it plays out.

What a PR mess.

This guy inadvertently points out what this might’ve been. I’m not sure it’s as innocent as one would assume.

Renogy basically got a large short term, interest free loan just before Black Friday.

Since renogy had two eBay sites operating out of the same location, they sacrificed one (ratings plummeted & they shut it down). People could only review the offending one.

Looks like they never admitted mistake on eBay, and reached out to people via phone.

Choosing “buyer cancellation”, they avoided penalties.

With cost of borrowing for corporations being quite expensive (interest rates) and harder to come by…this may have been a quick free loan pre-black Friday.

Yeah, idk. It’s strange.

The “seller canceled on me” comments. I have to wonder how renogy skated by on that (or maybe that’s why that eBay store is shutdown). I think there are pretty specific rules on when a seller can cancel.

I have to wonder how renogy would make such a mistake…then again, what would be the motive to do it intentionally? A quick cash grab to ramp up Black Friday inventory? Dunno. I’m curious to see how it plays out.

What a PR mess.
Mistake BS, companies do this to stop sales going to there competition, then ohh it was a mistake sorry, tee hee hee ... Meanwhile you missed out on other deals that are no longer available.

Mistake BS, companies do this to stop sales going to there competition, then ohh it was a mistake sorry, tee hee hee ... Meanwhile you missed out on other deals that are no longer available.
That’s what I’m thinking…maybe a different company might make such a mistake, but Renogy literally founded & grew its business on eBay.

Seems fishy, to me.

I think that's a stretch. Especially since no sales were actually made.

I once did a BIN on an $400 inverter that was being sold for $39 Of course I knew it was most likely a real scam (and it was), but thought maybe (0.01%) I would actually get it. I also promptly got my money refunded by PP. I also did not cry about it afterwards.

As I said earlier, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Obviously there was some sort of a screw up, but I doubt it was maliciously done by Renogy.

I think that's a stretch. Especially since no sales were actually made.

I once did a BIN on an $400 inverter that was being sold for $39 Of course I knew it was most likely a real scam (and it was), but thought maybe (0.01%) I would actually get it. I also promptly got my money refunded by PP. I also did not cry about it afterwards.

As I said earlier, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Obviously there was some sort of a screw up, but I doubt it was maliciously done by Renogy.
I don’t think Renogy corporate would have done it with malice, but they are stuck doing damage control PR for the “Renogy US” seller…the seller may have done it with deception intended.

Looking at the whole debacle, it appears renogy corporate is diligently trying to investigate what the eBay seller did. It appears that “Renogy US” is an authorized dropshipper for renogy.

Renogy US I’d back to selling on eBay, again, with a beaten up rating.

I’ve heard murmurs of an incredibly botched (lying) reaction to address an innocent pricing error. While this seems to be the most likely case, it sure leaves me skeptical accepting any reason, after the initial lies.

Apparently, the widespread communication people got was: “Thank you for participating in our Black Friday sale! There has been explosive interest in it, which may cause delayed delivery.”

Followed by: “due to the explosive interest, and a shortage of manpower, some orders will have to be cancelled”

Finally: “order was cancelled due to buyer requesting cancellation”

There is a lot of this desperate money grab going on right now because a lot of companies know the shit is about to hit the fan big time.
This is something I think more people need to be aware of.

It’s plausible. Solar has also plunged in demand, relative to supply.

There will be more unique attempts to stay afloat.

Back