diy solar

diy solar

Replacement bms for ironedison/relion 48v 200ah batteries

brock.mcvay

Hello all,

We installed a bunch of batteries and their bms's are failing left and right.

Originally these batteries were purchased through Ironedison who is no longer in business. Relion has been warenteeing these batteries when the bms's fail, they can't source replacement bms's, so they have just been shipping out whole new batteries. It takes a few months normally to get a new one sent out. Most of the time they don't even want the old batteries back, so we have a few sitting around with dead bms's.

I'm afraid they will stop the warrantees them since ironedison has closed shop.

It would be a lot simpler if we could source the original bms or replace it with something more reliable

The bms says TKB-BMS-16

It's looks to be a chinatkb bms
I was able to find them here: http://www.chinatkb.com/public.asp?base_id=3&second_id=3004 , and even tried to talk to someone from their site but they don't speak english.

The other option is to gut the oem bms and install something off the shelf. I have a 100amp overkillsolar 16s bms I can play with. It would be nice to reuse the 250amp relays included with the batteries and keep the current rating. I could use the overkill bms output to power the relays but then i wouldn't have overcurrent protection.

What does everyone think?

Attachments

• image_123927839.JPG
    image_123927839.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-4565.jpg
    IMG-4565.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-4566.jpg
    IMG-4566.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 9
Hi Brock. Did you ever find a solution? I have an RB48V200 from Iron Edison that Relion is sending me a replacement for (9/17/2023) and they just want me to recycle the old one. I’d rather fix the old one and have two than haul it out of the backcountry. Thanks!

Back